Author Topic: Alfred J Edwards Birth  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Alfred J Edwards Birth
« on: Monday 09 January 23 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth registration for Alfred J Edwards. The 1939 Register says he was born 13 Apr 1896, with the 1921 Census saying it was 1897 in Merthyr Tydfil. He married Jane Williams in Jul-Sep 1916 . Merthyr T.  I can find two possible registrations for Jane, mmn Jenkins or Kent in Merthyr Tydfil, but nothing for Alfred. Can anyone find a birth registration/baptism?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred J Edwards Birth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 23 23:19 GMT (UK) »
What is his full middle name?

What was his fathers name/occupation on the 1916 marriage cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 23 23:33 GMT (UK) »
I assume the J is for John as his son was Alfred John Edwards.
The marriage certificate I do not have. It would give his father’s name, which could help to find them on the 1901 census. Wanting to understand my DNA, I am searching wider and have only just started with this branch.

I found Jane on the 1901 (Schedule Type: 166 . Page Number: 22), with parents Benjamin and Cecilia Williams. From other children it confirmed mmn Jenkins. It also explains why Alfred and Jane’s first born was called Benjamin and Alfred John Jnr. was their second son.

Several areas within my paternal line, I can find a full list of information for the females, but nothing before marriage for the males. It would seem they wanted to remain hidden.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Looking at all births for an Alfred John 1896-1897 - none were in the Merthyr T reg district

The only Alfred J was Alfred J Barber but that was March 1897 which doesn't fit the 1939 birthdate.

Somebody has a tree on Ancestry & appears to have the same problem identifying his parentage
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 00:08 GMT (UK) »
A candidate for Alfred on the census?:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X91G-FJV

This Alfred is born c.1896 in Quakersyard - a village in the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough - and is living in Merthyr Tydfil in 1901. This Alfred also had a father called Benjamin, which could explain the first born son's name.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 00:21 GMT (UK) »
About to post and Queenie beat me to it.

I am asking, as I could not find anything that fitted.

There is a 1901 census that has an Alfred Edwards, born 1896 at Quakers Yard, Glamorganshire which is in the Merthyr area. His parents are Benjamin and Mary with mmn possibly Morgans.
Schedule Type 7 . Piece/Folio 11 . Page Number 2

I also checked 1895, with nothing in Merthyr Tydfil.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 13:41 GMT (UK) »
The 1891 census seem the right one.
I traced the family back through the 1881 to 1871.
The father of Benjamin was also Benjamin and mother Ann.
He was from Carew, Pembrokeshire, with Ann from St. Clears, Carmarthenshire. There was also a visitor John Roach/Roch from Pembrokeshire. Born in Castlemartin and registered mmn Richards, that name certainly fits with my family.

No sign of a birth registration for Benjamin Edwards b.1895-7. Maybe he was not registered, or registered with a different name, which seems odd considering how many times Benjamin has been used within the family. Still looking, but thanks for your help.