Author Topic: Obit Julia Leona Roche, Apr 8, 1959, Philadelphia  (Read 4929 times)

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Obit Julia Leona Roche, Apr 8, 1959, Philadelphia
« on: Monday 09 January 23 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Julia Leone Frye, nee Watterson, married George Washington Roche in 1951 in Philadelphia. I do not have the marriage record which just might mention if her mother Elizabeth White nee Averell  formerly Watterson is still  alive in 1951, which is what  I am really looking for. The last time that I found Elizabeth was in 1934 living in Hawthorne/Inglewood California when Julia's sister Virginia married to John George Spencer. Then Julia died Apr 8, 1959 at 4423 Spruce St., Philadelphia, and she was a widow after George died Nov 25, 1958 at same address. I have Julia's death certificate and George's. What I really am looking for is an obit to see if Julia's mother is mentioned. The informant at Julia's death was her stepson Clifford L. Roche living at 48 N. Penn St., Philadelphia. I don't think Julia had any biological children.
Julia's mother Elizabeth aka Lillian aka Lizzie Averell was born Feb 10, 1881 in Ireland but her date of birth varies on different records.
Thanks for any help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obit Julia Leona Roche, Apr 8, 1959, Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 06:56 GMT (UK) »
If her sister is the Virginia Gee who second married William Digney 27 June 1931 her parents were Benjamin Watterson and Elizabeth Averill (Ohio)

1930 census a brother Benjamin Watterson is living with her aged 29, the lodger is William Digney
who she marries 1931

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, amondg. I know who her mother was. I just don’t know if she was alive in 1951 or in 1959, and  I am trying to narrow down the timeframe of her mother’s death and if she might have remarried, so I know what name to be looking for.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 14:37 GMT (UK) »
If her sister is the Virginia Gee who second married William Digney 27 June 1931 her parents were Benjamin Watterson and Elizabeth Averill (Ohio)

1930 census a brother Benjamin Watterson is living with her aged 29, the lodger is William Digney
who she marries 1931

Other back ground information on the same family group.  Should be linked.

9 May 2021

Reply 4 mentioned - Julia L Roche 14/6/1897 died 8 April 1959 - "arteriosclerotic"  - other significant condition "alcoholism"
Father Benjamin Waterson and Mother Lizzie ? (no other information given for her)
Arlington Cemetery. Upper Darby. Del Co. PA.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=848582.0

3 July 2021 - more back ground - same family group

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=850587.0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra. Yes, I have worked endlessly and tirelessly for years on this family as have you and others such as RJ and oldohiohome, for which I am very grateful. I have pursued obituaries for all her siblings, and even for nieces and nephews and grand children to find a vital clue. Lizzie‘s parents died before her so their obituaries would not be helpful.
 Virginia’s marriage record in 1934 provided a vital clue as to where her mother was, and what name she had at that  time and I was hoping that perhaps Julia‘s marriage in 1951 to George Washington Roche would give her mothers name and location at that time or if Lizzie  was deceased. I think that is my best hope if it has the same type of information as Virginia’s did. I have death certificates for daughters Julia and Lillian and Virginia but I am still searching. Perhaps an obit for Julia would help. Her mother Lizzie, being born in 1881, could still be alive in 1959.
Thanks to all you wonderful people.
Peggy

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 08:11 GMT (UK) »

Threads need to be linked so that people can see what has been found previously and not waste there time repeating information you already have.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 10:57 GMT (UK) »
In this case, I thought it best not to link previous threads  resulting in wasting people time travelling down roads already travelled which did not result in finding Lizzie’s death. Instead, they could focus on this particular road , which might result in the desired results. Hopefully.
All previous help was greatly appreciated, and very valuable to the research on this family.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »

Have you contacted the nearest local library to see if there ever was an obit ?

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I have written to Ask a Librarian at the Free Library of Philadelphia and my request has been received. Awaiting a reply.
Peggy