Author Topic: Margaret Campbell & daughter missing  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Campbell & daughter missing
« on: Wednesday 11 January 23 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone. Will give as much info as I've got and maybe someone can see where I'm going wrong.

Margaret Campbell, a Fish Retailer/Fish Hawker from Glasgow. She had 4 children between 1871-1882 all illegitimate with no father's name listed and all died young except for my great great grandmother Isabella. They are as follows:

Mary Smith Campbell b 28 May 1871 d 26 Sep 1875
Isabella Campbell b 10 Aug 1874
Mary Campbell b 6 Mar 1881 d 15 April 1881
William Campbell b 16 Apr 1882 d 26 Apr 1882

I've been having a lot of trouble finding Margaret or her children on any census. I know Margaret should show up in the 1871 census but I'm having trouble narrowing down who she is on that census. No Margaret Campbell who is a fish hawker shows up on the census & I don't have much else to go on. From Mary Smith Campbell's birth certificate I see they lived at 9 Havannah St in High Church on May 28th, 2 months after the census was taken, however I found no traces of a Margaret csmpbell living at that address on the census.

So I though I'd try the 1881 census. Mary Smith Campbell died 1875 at 5 Old Vennel but Margaret had her sister Mary Campbell on 6 Mar 1881 at 9 Great Dovehill in Blackfriars. She died 15 April 1881 at the same address. So I know for a fact they were living there at that address in the night the census took place.

But when. I search the blackfriars area for a baby Mary campbell, there's no Mary of that age living at that address. And no Margaret either.

I also searched for isabella or Bell(a) campbell even tried Izzie and other nicknames. She should be in the 1881 census too and every child around her supposed age, there's no child living at 9 Great Dovehill.

Scotland people does not allow you to search by street name or I would. I feel that would be much easier. 

Isabella does not appear I'm the 1891 census that I can see. Nor does Margaret. But she marries husband John Marshall in 1897 in Calton. Margaret is on her marriage certificate as her mother, same occupation, Fish Hawker, Isabella is a Hardware Hawker, and Margaret isn't shown as deceased. So she still lives in the area I presume, but I cant find her.

I'm just not quite understanding why Margaret or Mary don't show up living at their address when I know they lived there unless they were visiting someone the night of the census? I did look for every Margaret and Mary Campbell I could find in the 1881 census and it doesn't seem to match up.

I've only recently found out about Margaret's other children besides Isabella and Mary Smith and I figured that would be the break I needed to finally find them, but I am stumped once again

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Campbell & daughter missing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 20:54 GMT (UK) »
You can search the 1881 by address if you have a set of the CD-ROMS of the transcriptions of the 1881 census done by the LDS, and an antiquated enough PC to run them. (They won't run on Windows 10 or later, or, as far as I know, on a Mac or Linux.)

I have the CDs and the antiquated hardware. I have looked at all the addresses in Great Dovehill, and there is only one Campbell, a 70-year-old Agnes Campbell.

Nor can I find Mary or Isabella anywhere else. I also tried searching for 'Margaret' and 'fish' and for 'Campbell' and 'fish hawker', but none of the results looks likely or even possible. So it looks as if Margaret and her daughters managed to evade the attentions of the census enumerator.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Just adding this other older post with additional details www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=861298.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica! I will have a look. Maybe they have info I don't.

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 22:04 GMT (UK) »
You can search the 1881 by address if you have a set of the CD-ROMS of the transcriptions of the 1881 census done by the LDS, and an antiquated enough PC to run them. (They won't run on Windows 10 or later, or, as far as I know, on a Mac or Linux.)

I have the CDs and the antiquated hardware. I have looked at all the addresses in Great Dovehill, and there is only one Campbell, a 70-year-old Agnes Campbell.

Nor can I find Mary or Isabella anywhere else. I also tried searching for 'Margaret' and 'fish' and for 'Campbell' and 'fish hawker', but none of the results looks likely or even possible. So it looks as if Margaret and her daughters managed to evade the attentions of the census enumerator.

I'm very curious how that managed to happen. It's a pity they seemed to slip through the net. I've found so little or Margaret over the years  I would've loved to find something in these census but I'll keep looking

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 23 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I remember from last time how hard they were to find  :-\

There was one census entry that I noted just as a possible for Margaret on the 1891 census:

Margaret Campbell, 40, unmarried, hawker b. Glasgow. She shows as an inmate at the City Parish Poorhouse 322 Parliamentary Road Glasgow/ St Rollox.

One possible area of research which I thought might throw something up is a search of the Poor Relief Application Records held at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. You have a lot of addresses and names which can always help when searching. This search is not available online and has to be done in person.

Also, I saw this index entry https://www.scottishindexes.com/prisontranscript.aspx?prisonid=271407236  Might relate to Margaret? Nothing on the NRS site to help further with this https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I remember from last time how hard they were to find  :-\

There was one census entry that I noted just as a possible for Margaret on the 1891 census:

Margaret Campbell, 40, unmarried, hawker b. Glasgow. She shows as an inmate at the City Parish Poorhouse 322 Parliamentary Road Glasgow/ St Rollox.

One possible area of research which I thought might throw something up is a search of the Poor Relief Application Records held at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. You have a lot of addresses and names which can always help when searching. This search is not available online and has to be done in person.

Also, I saw this index entry https://www.scottishindexes.com/prisontranscript.aspx?prisonid=271407236  Might relate to Margaret? Nothing on the NRS site to help further with this https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

Monica

This is a fantastic find. That may be her. Of course I can't be sure but it is possible. Thank you for your work as I know you have done this for someone before. The info from that thread was really helpful.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 January 23 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, looking for Margaret Campbell in 1881 census found a couple of interesting items. Between Scotlandspeople census of 1881 and Ancestry 1881 census, scotlandspeople has 3 for Margaret Campbell aged 27, 30, & 38 in Blackfriars which ancestry does not have which may be worth looking at.
Also, there is a Margaret Campbell,husband James & kids Georgewin??, Ann & Agnes at 11 Havannah St, Blackfriars. Funny this as Havannah St is in Calton so thought this noteable. Third, there are 2 Margaret Campbells one aged 26 and one aged 29 both listed as prisoners in Duke St prison, Blackfriars whom could be worth checking out. Try the website scottishindexes.com.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 January 23 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Also, there is a Margaret Campbell,husband James & kids Georgewin??, Ann & Agnes at 11 Havannah St, Blackfriars. Funny this as Havannah St is in Calton so thought this noteable.

I don't think Havannah Street was in the Calton? I always assumed it was off the High Street near George St, where the old College Goods Station used to be.
"Blackfriars" was a registration district and the name was not commonly used by the people who lived there, it was for registration purposes only, the same applies to "High Church", "Blythswood" and "Clyde". 
Calton, on the other hand, is an actual place, it began as a village and was later incorporated into the city of Glasgow. Usually referred to as "The Calton" it is instantly recognisable as an inner city district of Glasgow by anyone with any knowledge of Glasgow.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.