Author Topic: Margaret Campbell & daughter missing  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Campbell & daughter missing
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 June 23 21:54 BST (UK) »
When isabella was 16 another application was made. This was in 1891. Her application was made in Perth but Perth wrote to the Glasgow Poor Law. I think because usually they had to seek help from the parish of their birth. And she was admitted to the city poorhouse in Glasgow that year.
Yes, that's right.

It was your parish of 'settlement' that was responsible for paying for you, even if you were living in a different parish. You acquired 'settlement' by being born in a parish, and unless you went on to acquire 'settlement' somewhere else - for example by marrying a man from another parish, or living in a different parish for five consecutive years - you were the resposibility of your birth parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 June 23 22:59 BST (UK) »
Was there anything in all the poor relief documents that lets you identify mother Margaret Campbell and her family?

Monica

There wasn't much on the family of Margaret, only that the grandmother was looking after the children in 1879. So at least she was still alive then. Margaret was 27 according to the poor law record in 1879 so I have her estimated birth year of 1852.

There was a note in the record saying that to see more about the family of Margaret I needed to look at the mother's report. The staff at the archives gave me the reference number that they listed next to "mother's report" so I will be able to view that next time I visit.

Under "other" it said that "grandmother states she does not know where her daughter is currently residing." And in red pen like the other comments on yhr page by tje person who made the report, it says to view the grandmother's report.

I'm not sure what kind of report they are referring to. I assume it is another poor law application but I may be wrong. However I have the reference number so I will check it out next time I am there.

It also states that i believe tje mother of the children,  Margaret Campbell, was born and lived the first 8 years of her life in Bridgegate. I know I've seen that name before but I cannot remember where Bridgegate is. So thats something I could use to look into her birth.

Also in the 1879 census it states that the children are with "archd" Campbell at 9 Great Dovehill. Abbreviation of Archibald? I will need to look more into Archibald. Maybe the mother's poor law records can shed more light as to her parents and siblings and any other children.

I can see that mother was in the poorhouse at least 7 or 8 times from 1879 to 1891 so at least one of those times she must have had an application I can look at.

I also know that their father lived at one point at 93 High Street.

In 1891 Isabella mixed up her parents names she believed them to be William Campbell and Margaret Smith instead of Margaret Campbell and William Smith.

She also believed they were married. But the glasgow poor law did a search and could find no match for a marriage between William and Margaret. I think she got the names mixed up because she assumed that Campbell was her birth name due to her father and not her mother's maiden name. I'm not sure if she was ever told she was illegitimate.

If I could find a marriage then I could hsvem le info but I domt believe thee was one. Up until at least 1882, Margaret was still having illegitimate children and she resided at 9 Dovehill im the births of her children Mary 1881 and William 1882.

In 1880, the children are taken to the nurse and then handed back to their mother who stated that she was residing in 9 Dovehill.

I believe that that is where her parents were living since the children were living there in the care of their grandmother in 1879.

Sorry, I hope this makes sense. There's so much information I'm trying to make sense of.

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 June 23 23:01 BST (UK) »
When isabella was 16 another application was made. This was in 1891. Her application was made in Perth but Perth wrote to the Glasgow Poor Law. I think because usually they had to seek help from the parish of their birth. And she was admitted to the city poorhouse in Glasgow that year.
Yes, that's right.

It was your parish of 'settlement' that was responsible for paying for you, even if you were living in a different parish. You acquired 'settlement' by being born in a parish, and unless you went on to acquire 'settlement' somewhere else - for example by marrying a man from another parish, or living in a different parish for five consecutive years - you were the resposibility of your birth parish.

Perfect! I'd thought I'd read that that was the case somewhere but i couldn't remember. It makes sense then why even though when she resided in Alloa & Lochee, she still had to seek help in Glasgow.

She was only living at 49 Burnside Street, Lochee for 2 months prior to application. Before that she was in Glasgow.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 June 23 19:46 BST (UK) »
I have my fingers crossed for you that when you get the chance to check Margaret's poor relief notes you will be able to establish who she was  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 June 23 13:00 BST (UK) »
It's good to have an update
Good luck with further records !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 June 23 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you both! I hope so too. I was able to take some pictures of the records I looked at and having been putting the info into a document. One of the words I cant make out. The sentence reads:

"Claim from Alloa 23 September 1890 in case of Isabella Campbell who was relieved being ..... and destitute and unable? To proceed?"

Is anyone able to make out what the words say?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:49 BST (UK) »
....was relieved being footsxx...

Agree with 'unable to proceed'.

Is as much as I can see!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:02 BST (UK) »
It might be footsore actually to answer my own question.

I looked in a dictionary for words that begin with foot and that seems to fit. That would make sense. Relieved of being footsore and destitute. She was homeless at the time of the application so that woukd fit with what she was experiencing at the time.

But thank you for your help!