Author Topic: Margaret Campbell & daughter missing  (Read 2117 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Campbell & daughter missing
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 January 23 10:57 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth investigating Margaret's mother more .I once found a single mother and child living with her mother and step father and using the surname of the latter

Long shot. I know but could explain why the pair disappear
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 January 23 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Havannah Street is the street behind where Duke Street Prison used to be and where the Alexander school for girls (Renamed Ladywell school in 1872) still stands, though it's not a school anymore. This area is now the Drygate flats.

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 January 23 17:38 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth investigating Margaret's mother more .I once found a single mother and child living with her mother and step father and using the surname of the latter

Long shot. I know but could explain why the pair disappear

I definitely have many leads to follow. This has been my toughest brick wall for a long time and I feel connected to them in a way i dont eith other ancestors i giess becauee My grandmother has told me how her mother never spoke about her mother or grandmother, so I'd love to find at least a little information on the family.

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 January 23 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, looking for Margaret Campbell in 1881 census found a couple of interesting items. Between Scotlandspeople census of 1881 and Ancestry 1881 census, scotlandspeople has 3 for Margaret Campbell aged 27, 30, & 38 in Blackfriars which ancestry does not have which may be worth looking at.
Also, there is a Margaret Campbell,husband James & kids Georgewin??, Ann & Agnes at 11 Havannah St, Blackfriars. Funny this as Havannah St is in Calton so thought this noteable. Third, there are 2 Margaret Campbells one aged 26 and one aged 29 both listed as prisoners in Duke St prison, Blackfriars whom could be worth checking out. Try the website scottishindexes.com.

Rhank you very much. I'll definitely check scottish indexes. I keep forgetting to use that but it is a great resource.

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 January 23 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Also, there is a Margaret Campbell,husband James & kids Georgewin??, Ann & Agnes at 11 Havannah St, Blackfriars.
[/quote]

What's interesting here is that George... is a daughter around age 6. Margaret's daughter Isabella would be 6 in 1881 when this census is taken as her birthday isn't until August. What's even more interesting is baby Agnes who is aged 1 month old. Which is the same age baby Mary Campbell would have been at the time of the census.

A relative of mine who researched our family tree thought this could be our Margaret. I haven't found any evidence to substantiate this claim hence why I have been doing my own research.

Maybe the family was not available and the person who answered questions about them got it wrong? I've heard that happened sometimes.

Maybe the kids had nicknames?

I'm not sure. But I'll follow the Thomas Broggan and see what I can find. Maybe there will be a link there.

I cant say for sure but it is interesting.

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 January 23 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I also had another possibility that I'm sure caught my eye before but I hadn't delved deeper into because it seemed unlikely given Margaret's young age but not impossible

William, a block cutter, and Mary Campbell lived at 143 New Vennel, Blackfriars in 1871 with
Margaret 14
Mary 9
William 11
Ann 5

In 1881 they show up again living at 3 South pettigrew St in blackfriars with children:
Ann 16
John 10
Bella 6
John 2
Agness 9mo

Offline Lavender13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 June 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
I hope it is okay to update this after so long but I wanted to thank everyone and let you know in case you were curious that I found Isabella. I do have a small question as well.

I searched poor law records in Glasgow and found her. She was aged 5 at the time. Application was made 30th December 1879 along with an application for her sister Margaret aged 4 who I did not know existed until today.

It turns out that their mother Margaret Campbell had deserted the sisters on christmas day 1879 and left them with their grandmother. They were admitted to the poorhouse  in 1879.

Isabella and Margaret were the children of William Smith, who worked at the Glasgow Quay and of Margaret Campbell.

They were admitted due to "privation" I've heard of deprivation but not privation. What is that does anybody know? From what i can see it is a lack of the basic things a person would need. Articles I've read talk about the psychological effect of privation and it sounds horrible.

In the poor law records it talks about the children being sent to the nurse often. At one point Margaret Campbell, the daughter, was suffering from a skin condition. They didn't specify what kind or if it was a permanent thing or not.

Margaret kept coming back and leaving them over the years and they were in the care of various women over the years. I'm just about to work on searching for the women and working out if they were relatives or just people the kids were boarding with.

The poor law record is very detailed and lists every address the girls ever lived at and for how long. I can post the addresses or pictures of the records If that would help. One of the addresses looks to be their father's address at one point.

When isabella was 16 another application was made. This was in 1891. Her application was made in Perth but Perth wrote to the Glasgow Poor Law. I think because usually they had to seek help from the parish of their birth. And she was admitted to the city poorhouse in Glasgow that year.

In 1891 on Isabella's application it listed Margaret and William as living in Lochee.

I've got so many questions now to try to find answers to. And a lot of leads to follow up.

I actually got quite emotional when reading through the records. I don't judge Margaret too harshly because I have no idea what she was dealing with or the circumstances surrounding why she left the girls but it does break my heart to think of the children being moved around to anyone who will take them and with their mother popping in and out of their lives and how difficult that must have been for them being young children and not fully understanding why she left.

So yeah my main question is just does anybody know what privation means in this context? Does it mean there was an was an intentional thing to not have provided what they need or just in general?

From what the records have stated it doesn't seem like they were well cared for but I'm not sure if that was just due to how poor they were or an intentional thing. 

Many many thanks to all who tried to help me figure this out. I appreciated it so much and I am just glad to now have answers.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 June 23 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for coming back with the update  :) I am so happy that you have been able to find some answers, having searched for so long!

Regarding privation and deprivation, they have the same meaning really. Being more specific:

Privation: an act or instance of depriving
Deprivation: the state of being deprived

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 June 23 21:45 BST (UK) »
Was there anything in all the poor relief documents that lets you identify mother Margaret Campbell and her family?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk