Author Topic: Albert Matthews  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Matthews
« on: Wednesday 11 January 23 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Good evening
I am cataloguing a collection of letters, some of which include reference to an Albert Matthews. He served in WW2, was taken prisoner, then returned to Canada. I wonder if anyone could help me to  discover his wife's name  (she signed letters as Podge).They lived in ?Hometon NB (script is not very clear) during 1940I know nothing about Canadian records, I'm afraid, so forgive me if this is an impossible request
Maggott

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Matthews
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 23 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps lived in Moncton New Brunswick?

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 23 01:31 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Cosmac, Moncton is most likely. There is no such place as Hometon in NB.

From Ancestry, there is a record UK Allied Prisoners WW2 for a Albert R. Matthews which has
been corrected by a member to Albert William Matthews with the following "Albert William Matthews
joined the RAF while living in Moncton, he was a prisoner of war from 1940 -1945" This member
is not accepting messages....sadly.

This is a link to a genealogy buff living NB who may be able to help, scroll to the bottom of the
page.
http://www.rubycusack.com/issue89.html

DB

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 23 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Cosmac - Dbree
Thank you both for your replies -it was a great help. Another star for Rootschat!
Best Maggott

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 23 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hello!  A little late...found a site online with some newspaper clippings and other images of him as well. Son of Mr. & Mrs. Wm. Matthews of 59 Church Street. He was a pilot for the R.A.F. - trained overseas ( He'd have been trained in Canada if he'd signed up later...but he'd already been there since 1937!) Click on images to enlarge,
Also* There is a name credited for the donation of images, altho not sure if a relative!
https://aircrewremembered.com/matthews-albert.html

ADDING:   Were those letters sent while he was a P.O.W? Or post-war? Just realized that although all those images may be helpful, the newspapers appear to not include a wife... if they were married during his few months back in Canada after his pilot training course in 1939, she'd have had a mention.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 October 23 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ & many, many thanks.  This is the right man- I'm researching for a friend. & I'll forward the details you've given, to  her.    Marvellous pictures -too, of the crashed aircraft & of the man himself.
All best Maggott