Author Topic: Marriage lookup GREAT CORNARD - Thomas GARNER (GARDINER) and Hannah HALE 1823  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I’m trying to find out about Hannah Hale, who married Thomas Garner (but probably Gardiner) in Great Cornard (Sudbury District), Suffolk on 7 November 1823.

Would anyone have access to the original marriage records, to see if there is any extra information available, in addition to just their names?

Much appreciated. Thank you.  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup GREAT CORNARD - Thomas GARNER (GARDINER) and Hannah HALE 1823
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 20:54 GMT (UK) »
According to 1841/1851/1861 census Hannah Hale was bc.1801-1804 Ballingdon cum Brundon, Essex which is just 1/2 mile from Sudbury and the parish came under Sudbury (All Saints).

Hannah Hale bp.11/6/1801 Sudbury, dau. of John and Sarah.

Husband Thomas Garner bp.6/5/1798 Gt. Cornard, son of William and Mary (Wm. Gardner married Mary Bouttell 11/3/1790 Stoke by Nayland.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup GREAT CORNARD - Thomas GARNER (GARDINER) and Hannah HALE 1823
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, Annette.

I think Hannah Hale may be the mother of my relative, Henry Gardiner (various spellings) born in Great Cornard in 1841.

I think his parents were Thomas and Hannah Gardiner, who appear in Canhams Road, Great Cornard in Census records in 1841, 1851 and 1861. (Henry married, then later on moved to Jarrow.)

Everyone on Ancestry seems to think Henry’s mother is Hannah Sage, who married Thomas Gardiner in Stoke-by-Nayland in 1819 but that marriage has troubled me for a couple of reasons which is why I wanted to find an alternative to explore.

I only discovered recently that the GRO index includes mothers’ maiden names and there is a Henry Gardener born in Q1 of 1841 in Sudbury with MMN of Hale.

I’ll order a birth certificate.

Thanks again for the information you have kindly provided.  :)