Author Topic: Military Service Record : Robert CARR 1810-1830  (Read 1006 times)

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military Service Record : Robert CARR 1810-1830
« on: Thursday 12 January 23 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Northumberland Military Service 1810- 1830 for Robert CARR (1791-1871) farmer - Rothbury
I am trying to trace where the above was in military service. He is not listed in the local Napoleonic Militia lists and does not appear to have served with Northumberland Fusiliers. His cousin (also from Rothbury) John Smith served in Coldstream 2nd Foot Guards at Waterloo and was discharged in 1813 having lost his hand in battle but I can not find any service record for Robert CARR with Coldstream Guards. In 1830 at age of 39 he married, presumably at the end of his 20 year service, and settled back to farming as a tenant of Duke of Northumberland in Rothbury. He was vice chair of Coquetdale Tenancy in the 1860s and it was only in a newspaper report relating to a speech he made as Coquetdale Tenant that he said he had been in military service in his youth for 20 years.

I wonder if he served with Duke of Northumberland’s (Percy Volunteers) and if so whether I can locate records of his service ? He was certainly a tenant of Duke of Northumberland after he married until his death.

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Military Service Record : Robert CARR 1810-1830
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Cannot find any army record in Findmypast but see that in the Newcastle Journal of 24 June 1867 it talks of celebrations on the birthday of the Duke of Northumberland at Alnwick and Rothbury. At Rothbury the Vice Chair was Robert CARR of The Hirst who at one point says, as MY60 mentioned, “The Vice Chairman next proposed “The Army, Navy and Volunteers”, remarking that he himself was in the army for twenty years and during the time of the first Bonaparte, he knocked many an enemy down. “

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military Service Record : Robert CARR 1810-1830
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 23 20:03 GMT (UK) »
An extra piece of information there. Thank you!