Author Topic: Rebecca Dale  (Read 949 times)

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rebecca Dale
« on: Thursday 12 January 23 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for more information on Rebecca Dale born Ireland 25 May 1826, died 15 July 1890 Hillsburgh Wellington Ontario. There are a few DNA links to my 2 x Gr. Grandmother and I am thinking that their Fathers could be Brothers. There are trees on Ancestry who are saying that Rebecca's Father was John but they haven't entered anything to support this. Actually mine is one of them, just to see what comes up. I wondered if Rebecca who married John Sowerby had lived in England first? I'm struggling to find any more on her appart from census, marriage and death.
Help appreciated, thanks.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Dale
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 13:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Rebecca Dale from Whitby in the then Home District (later part of Ontario County, now the Regional Municipality of Durham) in 1847 to John Sowerby. Fathers were not named in these early clergy returns, but the witnesses were George Lee and Joseph Robson.

Only about 50% of these early district marriage registers have survived, but I'm not seeing another Dale marriage taking place in the Home District that would suggest a link.  Their children, noted in the 1861 Census were Isabella, Jane, John, Albert and Joseph.  These names should reflect the names of the couple's parents. I'm having difficulty finding them in the 1851 census even tho it has survived in the hopes that one of the parents would be listed with them.

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Yes, this is the same Rebecca Dale married to John Sowerby.
My Grandmother was Esther Dale who came to Lancashire from County Monaghan along with Brother David and sister Sarah. I have their marriage certificates who state that their Father's name was David a Farmer.
I know that Rebecca is connected to them through DNA but I'm not sure where she would lie. Maybe she is another sister who went to Ontario or perhaps their Father's were Brothers?
Do they have certificates in Ontario that I could obtain, like the UK ones that state the Father?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 13:58 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Although there are some torn pages in the 1851 personal census, in the agricultural census, there is a John M. Dale (indexed as Dall) on Lot 15, Concession 4.  One of the witnesses to Rebecca's wedding was a Joseph Robson who appears on Lot 15, Concession 5.

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/1061/images/e095-e002362659?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=4d4d879cf63c596be6409143d7052c0f&pId=145350

George Lee, the other witness, is noted on Lots 7&8, Concession 5:

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/1061/images/e095-e002362671?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=dbd2096476783bc629ba1c8f17d153f1&pId=145678

Given the proximity of the three parties, John Dale should be considered as a candidate to be Rebecca's father.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I found the personal entry in the census ... name is McDale/McDole -- not uncommon to drop the "mc"

John, aged 51, born Ireland, farmer, Presbyterian, married
Mary, aged 43, born Ireland, married
Thos, aged 21, born Ireland, labourer
Robert, aged 18, born Ireland, labourer
Sarah, aged 15, born Ireland
Martha, aged 11, born Ireland
Joseph, aged 8, born Ireland
Samuel, aged 2, born Upper Canada

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 January 23 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Eileen. That's interesting, I'll make a note of this family.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 23 01:33 GMT (UK) »
This researcher in the area has extensive databases that may be helpful to you.  You have to apply for a userid and password.

https://www.ontariogenealogy.com/ontariogenealogydatabaseform.html

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 January 23 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I have taken a look and it's interesting.

I have now added the McDale/McDole family to my tree. I am now trying to locate what happened to them after the 1851 census and wondering what surname they chose to use.

John, aged 51, born Ireland, farmer, Presbyterian, married
Mary, aged 43, born Ireland, married
Thos, aged 21, born Ireland, labourer
Robert, aged 18, born Ireland, labourer
Sarah, aged 15, born Ireland
Martha, aged 11, born Ireland
Joseph, aged 8, born Ireland
Samuel, aged 2, born Upper Canada

It's looking like Samuel was the first one born in Canada, making their time of arrival in Canada around 1848/9

Any ideas please