Author Topic: Rebecca Dale  (Read 948 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Dale
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 January 23 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I saw your tree online.  Did you find anything of interest on that site?  There are Dales noted in the index for the site which I could access.  McDole could have morphed into McDowell.  I've also wondered what happened to them after 1851 and wonder if they ended up in the US. 

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Ha!  Found them.  Using their neighbours from the 1851 Census, I found them spelled as McDowewl:

John, farmer, b. Ireland, Presbyterian, aged 60
Mary, b. Ireland, aged 52
Thomas, b. Ireland, aged 27
Robert, b. Ireland, aged 23
Joseph, b. Ireland, aged 17
Samuel, b. Upper Canada, aged 11

The girls have likely already married and are living elsewhere.  Now to see if we can marriages for any of the children.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:41 GMT (UK) »
In 1871, they are in Raleigh Township, Kent County, down in Southwestern Ontario, near the US border

McDowell, John, aged 69, b. Ireland, Presbyterian, farmer, married
McDowell, Mary, aged 65, b. Ireland, married
McDowell, Joseph, aged 23, b. Ireland, no occupation
McDowell, Samuel, aged 19, b. Ireland (ditto marks used), carpenter

Next door:
McDowell, Thomas, aged 37, b. Ireland, Presbyterian, farmer
McDowell, Mary Jane, aged 21, b. US, Universalist
McDowell, Samuel Alex., aged 2, b. Ontario
McDowell, John Francis, aged 7 months (b. September 1870), b. Ontario

Samuel marries on 9 June 1874 in Raleigh to an Elizabeth McPherson. Samuel's parents are noted as John & Mary (maiden name not given).

Joseph marries on 8 November 1882 in Raleigh to an Eliza Henrietta Apothorpe (sp?). Mary's maiden name not given.

Robert marries on 12 June 1888 in Raleigh to Mary Procter, a young widow, maiden name Henry.  Robert's mother's maiden name not given.

Joseph, Thomas  & Samuel's death records give Mary's maiden name as McDowell, so it is possible they had the same last name.

Haven't proven a connection to Rebecca, but perhaps following these lines will bring up a descendant with whom you have a DNA match.

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Eileen, that's brilliant. I did try and register with that site as there looks to be areas related to mine. It kept saying it wasn't secure. I didn't know what that meant, I'll try it again. It's surprising how the surname Dale can have so many spellings.
Thank you for finding them in 1861. Maybe  some of them did go to the USA?

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Just received your last post, thank you again.I'm going to be busy putting them to my tree. So excited but bed time now.
Pat

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:51 GMT (UK) »
When you wake up in the morning, you indicate that Ellen was from Co. Monaghan; however, I found her noted from Co. Cavan in UK census records.

When Mary McDowell dies in Raleigh, Kent Co., Ontario in 1876, she is noted as having been born in Grange, Co. Antrim, and John's birthplace is also given as Co. Antrim when he dies in 1888.  No parents' names are given.  We may have to rule this group out having chased them across the province.

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 January 23 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Yes, it was my 3rd Gr. Grandmother who is on the UK census. It states born County Monaghan, one says Cavan.
Am I ruling out the McDowell family on the 1861 census or the McDale/Mc/Dole family in 1851? It does seem to figure in 1851 with the 2 witnesses at Rebecca Dale's marriage living nearby.
It's proving a difficult one but Rebecca Dale is the key link as their are 3 DNA matches to me who have her in their trees.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 January 23 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I guess I would continue to plow on and work on the family trees of the McDole children to see if you turn up a DNA match.  :)

Offline seasider

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 January 23 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that's what I thought. Were the McDowell's you found in 1861 living in the same area as the McDoles?