Author Topic: Naturalization records  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Naturalization records
« on: Friday 13 January 23 16:18 GMT (UK) »
With the kind help and assistance from a couple of Rootschat forumers I have recently found that John and Phoebe Pearson gave an immigration date of 1882.

A Canadian census record for 1891 has Phoebe Pearson living with her daughter Sarah Steeton and her husband Walter.

I have found a mention of John Pierson aged 58 and Phoebe Pierson aged 65 living in Brandon, Manitoba on a 1911 census.

A 1926 record has them living with Frank and Blanche Steeton in South Battleford, Saskatchewan aged 72 and 80. This record states an immigration date of 1882.

My query is would John and Phoebe have to apply for Naturalization and how would they have arrived in Canada?

Many thanks in advance for all offers of help and advice  ;)
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalization records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 23 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Link to previous post.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=869205.9

I tried searching (Anc*try) for their arrival but so far have not found them sailing to North America. They most likely would have sailed directly to Canada, rather than sailing to the United States then travelling to Canada.

I could be incorrect, but I would think that no naturalization would have been necessary since they were British subjects.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 23 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Not what you were looking for, but I found an obituary for whom I believe to be your John Pearson
  Page 5, Obituary, Maidstone
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=SCE0ypLQHGcC&dat=19300811&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Unfortunately, it didn’t give any additional details about their 1882 arrival.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 23 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Many sincere thanks for taking the time to carry out some research on my behalf and post your findings together with the links  ;D ;D

I really appreciate your effort and I especially enjoyed reading the newspaper article because it related to one of my ancestors. It also confirms their 1882 arrival. I am so envious of your access to such information  ;)

Your earlier reply regarding Naturalization makes sense as they were British subjects. I only asked because ancestors from a different branch of my tree served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force but this would have been 30 years later in WW1. Both of them settled in Massachusetts and applied for Naturalization there.

Many thanks again Lisa............you`ve been brilliant  ;D

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 23 20:09 GMT (UK) »
…I really appreciate your effort and I especially enjoyed reading the newspaper article because it related to one of my ancestors. It also confirms their 1882 arrival. I am so envious of your access to such information  ;)

The newspapers are free to read, but they are not searchable.  Unfortunately, have to have an exact date for the information you are trying to find.

You are very welcome; I wish I could have found more, though.  I will try again later today.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 23 01:33 GMT (UK) »
The Canadian Citizenship Act was passed in 1947.  Before that Canadians were considered British Subjects, although of course they would have referred to themselves as Canadians.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 23 07:15 GMT (UK) »

Obituary Mrs John  Pearson - Star-Phoenix Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
18 Sep 1942, Fri    Page 14

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/116423651/star-phoenix/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 January 23 08:32 GMT (UK) »

Sandra

Great find, Sandra.  :)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 January 23 10:13 GMT (UK) »
The Canadian Citizenship Act was passed in 1947.  Before that Canadians were considered British Subjects, although of course they would have referred to themselves as Canadians.

Thank you very much Diana for the information in your reply. That answers another query  ;)

Sandra

What can I say Sandra......thats great thank you so much  ;D

Sandra

Great find, Sandra.  :)

Keep popping by Lisa, after all it was you that started the ball rolling  ;)