Author Topic: Tracing Merchant Seaman on Royal Navy Vessel  (Read 888 times)

Offline Liebermann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Merchant Seaman on Royal Navy Vessel
« on: Friday 13 January 23 16:41 GMT (UK) »
One of my relatives (Frank Edward Quested, born Poplar, London, in the early 1890s) served as a Merchant Seaman in both the First and Second World Wars. In the Second World War, he was a Merchant Seaman onboard a Royal Navy (auxiliary) vessel. I have found his First World War Medal Card on the National Archives as well as his Seaman's Pouch from the Second World War - however, The National Archives state "this pouch is empty" (there is a mention to Port Quebec but this is all). I am very interested in finding a more detailed record of this Second World War service but feel I have reached a dead end. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reference:   BT 390/108/96
Description:   
Name: Quested, Frank Edward. Service number: 795948. Place of birth: London. Date of birth: 1893. This pouch is empty.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Merchant Seaman on Royal Navy Vessel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 23 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
BT 390 are the pouches for merchant seamen who served on RN ships. The seaman would have signed a T124 Agreement which meant he could retain his MN pay and conditions but he would be subject to naval discipline. He was effectively part of the RN during his time on a T124. He joined this ship on 3 June 1940. It is unfortunate but a few of the pouches in BT 390 contain no information/or are empty. Usually this information is thankfully shown on the pouch.
The Port Line ship, PORT QUEBEC was built in 1939 and purchased by the Admiralty as HMS PORT QUEBEC - a minelayer. There will unfortunately be no crew lists for this ship - at least until she was returned to owners - as the RN didn't keep them as such.
He appears to have been on ss JAMAICA PROGRESS previously joining her on 27.3.1940.
I presume you have seen his CR 1 and CR2 cards from the Fourth Register of Seamen.

I have him first going to sea aboard KILDONNAN CASTLE, LLANDOVEREY CASTLE then LLANDSTEPHAN CASTLE in 1915.

His WW1 medal card also states his BWM was issued T124 so he was serving as Naval Auxiliary Personnel (NAP) back then. Further research has his British War Medal, 1914-15 Star and Victory Medal issued by the Admiralty. At this time, he was serving on a Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary ship, PEEL CASTLE. He was serving in the Mercantile Marine Reserve as a Greaser - Engine-room rating. Unfortunately, little in the way of records survive for the MMR.

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Liebermann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 23 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hugh, thank you so much for taking the time to research my maternal great-grandfather’s naval service in both World Wars. I’d only found out about HMS Port Quebec but was not aware of the SS Jamaica or his earlier service as a greaser. I also have not seen copies of his CR1 and CR2 cards. Could you please tell me where I could go to find all the above information or obtain copies as I am relatively new to this type of research. Once again, I really appreciate all your help!

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liebermann,
CR1, CR2 and CR10 cards are part of Central Index of Seaman also known as the Fourth Register of Seamen (1918-1941). The original cards are held at Southampton City Archives with copies at TNA Kew and on paysite FindMyPast. I have sent you a private message.
Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO