Author Topic: Death Penny Plaque  (Read 2715 times)

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Death Penny Plaque
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 January 23 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alamo,
You are correct that Australia refused to allow any of its men to be executed. This was due to an incident during the Boer War when two Australian Officers ("Breaker" Morant and Peter Handcock) were executed without the Australian authorities being consulted.
Unfortunately New Zealand did not follow suit and five NZers were executed during WW1.
From NZ History website : "28 members of the NZEF (were) sentenced to death during the war. Five of these men, all privates, faced a firing squad: John Braithwaite, Frank Hughes, John King, Victor Spencer and John Sweeney. Four were executed for desertion, Braithwaite for mutiny.

In September 2000 all five men received posthumous pardons when the New Zealand Parliament passed the Pardon for Soldiers of the Great War Act
."
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 January 23 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that
I never knew that
I heard the Movie name Breaker Morant 40 odd years ago
I always wondered what it was about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaker_Morant_(film)
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 January 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Small World
Just noticed the Movie Breaker Morant with Edward Woodward
Is being shown on Channel 34 - Great Movies on Tues 17 January at 3.35 a.m. till 5.50 a..m. of 18th January
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY