Author Topic: Leeper Coat mentioned in Burke General Armory  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Doug Leeper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leeper Coat mentioned in Burke General Armory
« on: Friday 13 January 23 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I just signed up, I'm curious as to how a person would contact the folks in Dublin, to get a photo of the Coat of Arms, and how one would go looking for the Heraldry in 1189?

The general armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales; comprising armoral bearings from the earliest to the present time. 
by. Burke, Bernard, Sir 1814-1892

Leeper or Leper (co. Donegal, originally of Scotland' Reg. Ulster's Offices; John Leeper, Burgess of Edinburgh, appended his seal to a deed dated 1 Sept 1189; Andrew Leper of Stranorlar, co. Donegal, made his will 23 Dec., 1669, and left two sons, William Leper and Andrew Leper.

Az. a chev. betw. three Leopards' faces or.  Crest- A leopard's face per pale or and sa. Motto- Regi Patriaeque.

Miss Jane A. Leeper, of Dublin, Ireland, daughter of Rev. Alexander L. Leeper, who for many years was Canon of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, Ireland sent this to a US Leeper long ago:

Original record is kept in Dublin.

The painting measures 6.5" by 8.5"
Described:
Shield--AZ--a chevron between three Leopard's faces, or crest, a Leopard's face, per pale, or and sa.
Motto- Regi Patriaeque--AZ--signifies azure, or gold or gilt; --sa-sable or black.

The motto translated is "For King and Country."

History shows that this heraldry was granted to one John Leeper for valant service to his country in the years 1189 A.D.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Leeper Coat mentioned in Burke General Armory
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 23 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I just signed up, I'm curious as to how a person would contact the folks in Dublin, to get a photo of the Coat of Arms, and how one would go looking for the Heraldry in 1189?

The general armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales; comprising armoral bearings from the earliest to the present time. 
by. Burke, Bernard, Sir 1814-1892

Leeper or Leper (co. Donegal, originally of Scotland' Reg. Ulster's Offices; John Leeper, Burgess of Edinburgh, appended his seal to a deed dated 1 Sept 1189; Andrew Leper of Stranorlar, co. Donegal, made his will 23 Dec., 1669, and left two sons, William Leper and Andrew Leper.

Az. a chev. betw. three Leopards' faces or.  Crest- A leopard's face per pale or and sa. Motto- Regi Patriaeque.

Miss Jane A. Leeper, of Dublin, Ireland, daughter of Rev. Alexander L. Leeper, who for many years was Canon of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, Ireland sent this to a US Leeper long ago:

Original record is kept in Dublin.

The painting measures 6.5" by 8.5"
Described:
Shield--AZ--a chevron between three Leopard's faces, or crest, a Leopard's face, per pale, or and sa.
Motto- Regi Patriaeque--AZ--signifies azure, or gold or gilt; --sa-sable or black.

The motto translated is "For King and Country."

History shows that this heraldry was granted to one John Leeper for valant service to his country in the years 1189 A.D.

OK. Let us start at the beginning. There were no grants in 1189, because there were no heralds. People, all over the world, just assumed a coat of arms, painted it on a shield, and it was done.  There would not be any organized heraldry for another 300 years. 

That is not to say that there weren't any Leepers at that time. There might very well have been. The important thing to remember here is that the Dublin Library/National Archives were burnt down in 1922 by the IRA. It is nigh on impossible for a person today to find out when their great-grandfather was born, leave lone "history showing" anything. 

From the blazon, you have given, I have drawn the shield and crest. 

Shield - Azure a chevron between three Leopards' faces Or.   
Crest - A leopard's face per pale Or and Sable. 

Images are in .png so that you can change shades if you want. Like the College of Arms, I use very dark grey instead of black. Black is then reserved for outlines and emphasis. 

Regards 

Chas    
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Doug Leeper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leeper Coat mentioned in Burke General Armory
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 23 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow, thanks!

Here is the original reference, so are you basically saying he made the whole book up as a fabrication?  Personally I don't know enough about all this stuff, one way or another. I am a bit confused on this one, and scratching my head. See top right of page 122:

https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_WmpmAAAAMAAJ/page/n121/mode/2up?q=Leeper