Author Topic: Ancestor came to US in 1738  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Doug Leeper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestor came to US in 1738
« on: Friday 13 January 23 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just signed up today.

James Leeper (Lepper) with wife Margaret states in his Importation Oath that he arrived in the colonies in 1738 at PA from Ireland 28 Feb 1839 in Beverly Manor, Augusta, VA. He had a land survey done 30 May 1738, same place.

Various family histories mention Donegal, Belfast- County Down, etc. so I am not sure where to post this.

"James Lepper made oath that he imported himself Margaret, Nicholas, Sarah, Jane, Andrew, James, Guine, Isbell, & Mary Lepper at his own charge from Ireland to Philadelphia & from thence unto this Colony and that this is the first time of proving his and their Rights in order to obtain Land".

Folks estimate he was born 1695, he did pass 23 Oct 1763 in Augusta, VA.

Is there a way of seeing if there are emigration records when they left Ireland?  Y-DNA shows he had a brother or cousin Robert Leeper that came over about the same time, who settled in York, SC and passed circa 1795 from his will.

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor came to US in 1738
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 23 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Seawright was born to William Seawright 1675-1760 & Esther Thompson 1679-1757.

Offline Doug Leeper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 23 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and Thanks!

Do you happen to have a birth record source link?  How about a record for marriage of Margaret?  Or maybe a Will source that gives the relationships of Margaret and James Leeper to her Seawright/Thompson parents?

I've seen four separate surnames connected to the VA James Leeper's wife Margaret, some nutcase was mixing lines and called her McCready, another person used McKee, and not realizing they are hooking folks from separate geographical areas and family lines.

I keep seeing folks randomly connect the wrong Leepers to the wrong Leepers who don't understand they are separate family lines, confusing wives, and making a total mess of the surname, and when you go to look, they have no sources at all.  Sad thing is people keep copying what is on those trees.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 23 01:04 GMT (UK) »
To add to the confusion I have seen that some people record Donegal as a location when in fact the source location is Donegore, Co Antrim. So beware of that also if Donegal does not make sense.