Author Topic: TROVE under threat  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TROVE under threat
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 February 23 01:21 GMT (UK) »
I with the help of fellow Roots Chatters wrote to every genealogical society in my hometown to petition that Newcastle's newspapers were included in Trove. Hopefully, these current petitions will help now keep Trove free.

If they do feel the need to privatise then I hope they will include more recent editions as most were cut off to 1954.  I know our privacy laws and freedom of information are more stringent and I suppose copyright may also prevent publicising too recent issues.

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 February 23 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,
Have also signed the petition & written to four federal politicians .
Regards
clancam37

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 February 23 04:23 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd sign the petition but as I'm neither a "resident or citizen of Australia" I can't!

Don't they recognise TROVE as being an online resource used by people worldwide  ::)

It seems to me the 'brake's' are on...decisions have already been made  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 February 23 04:36 GMT (UK) »
it seems that many fibs were told by PM’s mother and different stories told to various media by PM about the story.
Sounds like an echo of the story of Trump's mother going to America for a 'holiday'!!!

The people of The Isle of Skye, Scotland (where she was born) were not exactly 'well off' & certainly didn't go to the US for holidays!

The story was a cover-up (like many) but some Genealogy enthusiast revealed all from online records...she was (as expected) an emigrant rather than a 'holidaymaker'.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 February 23 05:02 GMT (UK) »
From Google search -

" nearly all of the newspapers on Trove cease at 1954. This is because newspapers after 1955 are considered to be in copyright. Thus any application to digitise papers after 1954 requires the written permission of the copyright owner."

My understanding is that the copyright applies for 75 years.  Where publications are accessible  via Trove  after 1954, it is by permission of the owner.

So, 1955 should be accessible in ....2030,  1956 in....2031... etc

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 February 23 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi wivenhoe,
Yes TROVE ends about 1954.   
There is another resource called "Newsbank" I access it from the Tasmanian Library website, Family History.   It can also be accessed from google.    It covers Australian Newspapers, all states from about 1990 to the present.
Regards
clancam37

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 06 February 23 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Newsbank is available through many libraries.  :D I access it through my Australian National Library card.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 February 23 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to log on to Newsbank with no success.  I have got a library barcode for both SLSA here in South Australia and the National Library.  I am typing the barcode in the username and then my password.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 06 February 23 09:04 GMT (UK) »
When I go to the National Library Australia website, I click on "eResources", then click on "For full access, login with your National Library card details" which brings me to the log in page. Type in the "User ID" (14 digit number on my Card) and "Family Name", and accept the license agreement. Then "Browse eResources" and click on "Newsbank".

Hope that makes sense.