Author Topic: Jabez Fawthrop - Northowram 1801  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Jabez Fawthrop - Northowram 1801
« on: Saturday 14 January 23 22:58 GMT (UK) »
There are two Jabez Fawthrops who were baptised in Northowram within the right timeframe:

Jabez Shepherd Fawthrop, born 5th March 1803, baptised 10th May 1803 to Jabez Fawthrop

Jabez Fawthrop, born 18th December 1801, baptised 14th January 1802 to Jabez and Sarah Fawthrop

'My' Jabez is, according to ages on census records, the elder of the two (1801 on the 1841 census, versus 1806 for the younger) who married Sarah Sittle/Settle in 1821.  The younger Jabez married Elizabeth Ambler in 1838.

There is a marriage of a Jabez Fawthrop to Sarah Shepherd on 27th March 1799 in Northowram, which I am assigning as the parents of Jabez Shepherd Fawthrop above.

Can anyone please find another marriage of a Jabez to a Sarah, that would fit as the parents of the elder Jabez Fawthrop (1801)?  A lot of people have the two Jabezes as siblings, belonging to Jabez Fawthrop and Sarah Shepherd, but records show that they both survived to adulthood.

Many thanks!
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Jabez Fawthrop - Northowram 1801
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 23 09:26 GMT (UK) »

There is a marriage of a Jabez Fawthrop to Sarah Shepherd on 27th March 1799 in Northowram, which I am assigning as the parents of Jabez Shepherd Fawthrop above.

In case it helps this Jabez has the occupation of Cow Doctor when he married
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 23 09:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Jabez Fawthrop to a Sarah Brook 15 May 1777 in Halifax. This Jabez is also a Cow Doctor.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  I believe both those marriages are for Jabez Fawthrop, who died in Coley in 1846, aged 97.  Certainly linked somehow, but not the father of 1801, I think, but 1803.

~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 23 17:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Jabez Fawthrop to a Sarah Brook 15 May 1777 in Halifax. This Jabez is also a Cow Doctor.

Sara', wife of Jabus [sic] Fawthrop, buried 6th September 1777 in Halifax.

Jabez Fawthrop of Halifax, Cow Doctor, married Mary Fox on 17th April 1781 in Halifax. The signature looks the same as the one on the Sarah Brook marriage in 1777.

Just a thought but the elder Jabez Fawthrop (c.1749-1846) left a will. I wonder whether it could shine a light on the situation?:

First name(s): Jabez
Last name: Fawthrop
Document type: Will
Document reference: vol.215, f.1182
Year: 1846
Index reference: 1845061847060095/1892
Date: 1846, NOV
Document ordering: http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/remote-services/copying/order-form/
Place: Halifax
Record set: Prerogative & Exchequer Courts Of York Probate Index, 1688-1858

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 23 17:48 GMT (UK) »
On the marriage of Jacob Fawthrop to Elizabeth Ambler in 1838, he is a Mason and his father is the Cow Doctor.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 23 18:25 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't give a lot at all...

This the last will and testament of me Jabez Fawthrop of Tanhouse in Northowram in the parish of Halifax and County of York Cow leech.  I give and bequeath all my household goods, furniture and effects cattle, farming stock and utensils, money and securities for money book and other Debts and my Tenant Right in the Farm which I now occupy called Tanhouse in Northowram aforesaid and all other my personal estate whatsoever and wheresoever which I shall be possessed of or entitled to at the time of my death unto my dear wife Sara for her own use and benefit absolutely - subject nevertheless to the payment of all my just Debts and Funeral and Testamentary Expenses and I appoint my said wife Sarah sole Executrix of this my will In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twenty seventh day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty eight.

Signed with Jabez's mark X

Died 19th June 1846

I do hereby certify that on the tenth day of October in the year of our Lord 1846 Sarah Fawthrop of Tanhouse in Northowram in the parish of Halifax in the county of York, widow, the Relict and sole Executrix named in this the last will and testament of Jabez Fawthrop late of Tanhouse aforesaid in the Diocese of York, Cow Leech, deceased was sworn well and ?? to Execute and perform the same and that the whole of the goods chattels and credits of the said deceased within the Diocese of York do not amount in value to the sum of one hundred pounds.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 23 18:34 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't give a lot at all...

That's a shame.

I just had a thought - and could be completely wrong - but were there really 2 Jabez Fawthrops of Northowram, both cow dealers, who were both married to Sarahs?

Is it possible that Jabez and Sarah had 2 children of the same name? And used Jabez number 2's middle name (Shepherd) to differentiate? I know it sounds a little crazy, but I have heard of it happening before. Maybe Jabez number 1 was ill and they thought he may not survive, but he actually did?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 23 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Mysteries, mysteries, mysteries!!  But where would we be without them?!

It's just strange that one was baptised with just the father's name and the other was baptised with both father and mother's name.

I'm wondering...maybe Jabez, father of Jabez 1801, is a nephew of Jabez 1749?  But, still need a marriage to a Sarah.  Needn't have been local, I suppose, but chances are, it would have been! My brain is hurting!!