Author Topic: Kind Help Required Please!  (Read 824 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kind Help Required Please!
« on: Sunday 15 January 23 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out some further details of my X4 Gt Grandfather, one Thomas Hall. He was born circa 1789 with County Cavan on his Census records when I first pick him up in Liverpool in 1841.

He has a wife - Margaret born circa 1791 in the same County.

They have at least 2 children - John Hall (circa 1811) and Anastacia Hall (circa 1816 or 1823 depending on Census records!) A little bit interestingly, when the family appear in Liverpool, John and Anastacia are listed as born 'Ireland' (not Cavan) even though they are all listed in the same household.

In the 1851 Census there is also a 15 year old Grandaughter listed under Thomas and Margaret. She appears under the 'County Cavan' listing and is named Margaret Hall, born circa 1826.

Any help woud be much appreciated. I would love to find out Margaret's maiden name, but any information is most welcome.  :)

Mx

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kind Help Required Please!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 23 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I think you are a bit confused.  In 1841 the whole household has 'I' for Ireland and in 1851 Thomas is born County Cavan with the two Margarets dittoed.  I wouldn't pay too much attention to the dittos as it was more often just laziness on the part of the enumerator.  Sometimes you get lucky and a person gives a birth county in Ireland but it doesn't happen very often.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRQK-FGM

Name   Anastasia HALL
Event Type   Christening
Event Date   19 Jul 1818
Event Place   Stabannan, County Louth, Ireland
Father's Name   Thomas HALL
Mother's Name   Margaret

Debra  :)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kind Help Required Please!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 23 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I think you are a bit confused.  In 1841 the whole household has 'I' for Ireland and in 1851 Thomas is born County Cavan with the two Margarets dittoed.  I wouldn't pay too much attention to the dittos as it was more often just laziness on the part of the enumerator.  Sometimes you get lucky and a person gives a birth county in Ireland but it doesn't happen very often.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRQK-FGM

Name   Anastasia HALL
Event Type   Christening
Event Date   19 Jul 1818
Event Place   Stabannan, County Louth, Ireland
Father's Name   Thomas HALL
Mother's Name   Margaret

Debra  :)

Many thanks Debra. Is it likely to mean Thomas would have been born in Cavan but not necessarily the others?