Author Topic: Whittle Family  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Whittle Family
« on: Sunday 15 January 23 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have Managed to trace back to 1771 in my family tree for a James Whittle born 1771 Preston Lancashire. He married in 1789 to Ann Duerden at St Johns church Preston. I have their children's details.

I am trying to find details of James parents but not sure what steps to take next to find them. I would appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks  :)
Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whittle Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 23 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Is he the James Whittle, weaver aged 70 with wife Ann at Lark Hill Road in 1841?

If he is, then is he perhaps also James Whittle, weaver aged 82 (ages in the 1841 census were rounded down to the nearest 5) with wife Jane in 1851? This man gives his birthplace as Houghton, Lancashire (from the 1841 census you only know that James was born in Lancashire). "Houghton" might be Hoghton near Chorley, but could also be Westhoughton.

There is a burial of Ann Whittle, aged 75 of Silver Street, Preston at St John on 22 January 1843, and a marriage at St John of James Whittle, widower of Silver Street, weaver on 24 July 1843 to Jane Waddington, widow.  James' father is Ralph Whittle (deceased), a weaver.

If you don't have access to Ancestry's parish records, you can find these details at Lancashire Online Parish Clerk: https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 23 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Galium  :)

All the information you have given sounds very promising. I had hit the brick wall. Will go and investigate ;D

Thank you again.
Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 23 03:16 GMT (UK) »
For interest:

"On Wednesday last, Ann Whittle, Silver-street, aged 76"
Saturday,  Jan. 21, 1843
Publication: Preston Chronicle

"same day, [Wednesday last] James Whittle, weaver, Paradise-street, aged 82."
Saturday,  May 24, 1851

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 23 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Also:

"On Monday last, at the Parish Church ... Mr. James Whittle to Miss Jane Waddington ... all of this town"
Saturday,  July 29, 1843

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 23 07:55 GMT (UK) »
St Bartholomew West Houghton
27th Feb 1770
James Whittle
son of Ralph Whittle and Betty

A quick look up for further children drew a blank, but then there is a burial for Betty Whittle wife of Ralph Whittle 1st December 1771 in the same church as James was buried ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 23 08:21 GMT (UK) »
St Bartholomew Westhoughton,
Ralph Whittle baptised 2nd Jan 1750/1 son of James Whittle

Burial of Ralph Whittle aged 86 years abode Westhoughton, 4th June 1836

there is one other Ralph Whittle in this church he is the son of John Whittle , he was baptised 1743
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to help me.

It gets more difficult the further you go back in your tree to prove if someone is related to you but you have given me some great leads to follow.

THANK YOU :)