Author Topic: Royal Corps of Signals  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Bonniebuster196

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Corps of Signals
« on: Monday 16 January 23 00:52 GMT (UK) »
 Good morning
My father-in-law served in the above from 1942 - 1946 in the 70 Construction section, 5 Headquarters  Railway telephone company, according to Forces war records. I have done some researching and can not find anything on this unit. If anyone knows anything about this I’d love to hear from you.

KR
Eve, Naylor, Hibbett, Brown, Fiddes, Harry, Garrick, McGee, Turnbull.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Corps of Signals
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Following the Allied invasion of Italy in September 1943, as the Allied Forces progressed northwards, they needed to use the civilian railway system which had been extensively damaged both by Allied bombing and by the retreating Germans. This involved not only replacing the track but also the signalling infrastructure and in some cases the electrical supply for those sections which operated electric trains.

A unit called the Lines of Communications Railway Signals was formed to do this work. Initially it consisted of five US Army railway signal sections and two British Army railway telegraph companies.There were was also a contingent of employees of the Italian State Railway (Italy having surrendered on 3 September 1943). The overall commander of this unit was the US Director General Military Railways Service. However when the US railway units in Italy were withdrawn in June 1944 to prepare for Operation Anvil (the US landings on the South coast of France) the LofC Railway Signals unit came under the command of the British Director of Transportation.

To quote from R F Nalder The Royal Corps of Signals - a History of its Antecedents and Development 1958:
These units repaired the circuits for train control, which ran alongside the tracks, and also manned the railway signal offices. The Chief Signal Officer L of C was kept informed of the long line requirements of the railways and included them in the plans for the theatre system, from which they were provided.
One of the major problems they faced was interference of the signals caused by the adjacent high voltage power supplies, mainly due to faulty equipment in the generating stations and poor bonding of the running rails.

The Italian campaign did not end until April 1945 when the remaining German forces there surrendered.

I imagine that something similar must have been needed in North West Europe following D Day, but Nalder's book gives no specific details about the railways.  Based on what happened with repairing the fixed telecommunications infrastructure generally during the push East towards Germany, it appears that extensive use was made of the existing civilian Post Office and Telegraph companies to restore their own circuits, so perhaps the same occurred with the railways, with only minimal input from the Royal Signals.   

Unfortunately I found no specific reference to 5 Headquarters Company either, so I can't say for sure which theatre it was operating in, although given the dates you provide, I would favour Italy.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 23 10:06 GMT (UK) »
His full service record is held by the MOD; you can apply for a copy:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 23 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Bonniebuster,

Do you know if your father-in-law's medals have survived? If so try and find out what they were. This will tell you where he served. For instance if he was awarded the Italy Star (see below) then that points to him working on the Italian railways, whereas if he didn't have the Italy Star that would tend to indicate he served exclusively in North West Europe.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/WW2_Italy_Star.jpg/300px-WW2_Italy_Star.jpg

Offline Bonniebuster196

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 23 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes my husband has the medals which he will look out. He is sure he was in France, Germany, Belgium & Holland. Thank you for your response .
Eve, Naylor, Hibbett, Brown, Fiddes, Harry, Garrick, McGee, Turnbull.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 23 15:07 GMT (UK) »
This might help although their archive is currently closed to enquiries:
https://www.royalsignalsmuseum.co.uk/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan