Author Topic: Diary, started Monday 16th January-  (Read 4784 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary, started Monday 16th January-
« on: Monday 16 January 23 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have been up all night so I could start a week of the Diary !
Not much to say but I have “ Dunnit”!

A grey morning ,no big clouds just a grey sky .
More washing to do today but it will most probably be on the maiden not outside ,which I love.

Well the expensive piece of beef was nothing to write home about,I thought to use it up, cottage pie - but waiting for a replacement mincer from Lakeland ,the suction pad on a handy little mincer from them,three years’ guarantee, has failed .

I will have to throw away a biggish joint of ham.
Chucked it in the freezer when I knew we would not be here for New Year, it can be frozen but must still be used by original use by date —- a bit daft but all the salt means it is not as deeply frozen as other ,unsalted ,meat I
expect .
Put some croissants out for birds but usually the noisy Starlings would be at the bird table but nothing ,they have not been eaten.

Went with son to a big Church now an antiques centre, on Saturday.
We have so little room now ,so what does he buy?
A press, looks as if it would be for something large book size ,honestly !
Weighs a ton!
Oh and a little model of a steam engine that would have been used in agriculture ,something like Fred Dibnah drove.
For his brother who now he is retired and doesn’t know what to do with himself ,is restoring, authentic paint and parts, all the Dinky ,Corgi and Matchbox toys they played with ,in sand and mud, proper play but the toys showed it.
Again Honestly !
They remember which belonged to who !( whom?)

Well hope everyone is alright ,and we have a good week .
Look after yourselves folks .
Cheerio,
Viktoria.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary, started Monday 16th January-
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 23 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Good service deserves grateful thanks.
This morning we suffered three "momentary" breaks in our electricity supply. I notified National Grid and within less than half an hour had a call back to say that there had been a fault on the system which had been located and corrected and offering their sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 23 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Well done Viktoria, on being the one to have 'dunnit' first this week.  I hope you didn't stay up all night like a 'New Year's Sale outside a store camper' to ensure being the first on here.  That's competitiveness for you. ;D ;)
Everything is getting expensive these days, isn't it Viktoria.
Last week I fancied a particular brand of yoghurt but at the shop I found it had gone up 30p overnight!  I felt disgusted and decided it could stay on the shelf as far as I am concerned.  I do sometimes wonder if some shops are just jumping on the band wagon in raising prices just because they can blame it on the cost of living. ::) It seems to pay more than ever to shop around.  Like you have said before Viktoria, I wonder how some people are managing .. people with young families to feed .. those on benefits.  Food banks and donations perhaps? 
I hope everyone is alright too.
I have a back shift later today so haven't had to get up at dawn and have been able to have a leisurely breakfast - hurrah!  Still feeling tired from yesterday's 12 hour shift.
When I got up today I saw everything is white outside and there is softly falling snow.
It looks very pretty.

That is super service Jeff! :)

I'll have to go make another cup of tea soon .. I've accidentally let this one go cold through being on here.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 23 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Morning all
We have a touch of the white stuff here. I’m hoping it’ll melt as doing the school run later won’t be fun as their school is very high up and there’s several hills to negotiate. So much easier if there isn’t snow and ice on the ground. Time to dig the wellies out, not because it’s that deep but the grips are better on those than my walking shoes. Stay safe everyone.
North East of England

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 23 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Nice one Viktoria on setting up the diary. What a shame about the ham, I have some bacon in the freezer, I wonder if the same applies.

RTL, it is worrying how much the price of groceries is increasing.
Could you and Candleflame please not send the white stuff any further South? We've had a few flakes drifting down, that's enough for me! Forecast is clearer for all of us in the North East, hope it's right.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 23 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, at first I thought you had written that you wanted some of the 'white stuff' sent down.  I was going to say, okay, I'll see if I can fill a bucket for you before I set off for work.  ;D  ;)
Yes, I think prices are being hiked too much.  I could have forked out the extra 30p increase for that individual yoghurt.  But it is the principle of it, when you think a store might just be exploiting customers and kidding on, that it is down to cost of living crisis.  If I see what I consider a big hike I usually just stop buying the item or look elsewhere; I draw the line. I think if we keep accepting the big hikes some shops might keep going and we might all be in need of food banks at this rate.

Goodness!  I can't believe how fast this morning has gone. :o  I'll have to start getting things ready and have a bite of lunch before setting off for work soon.  I hope I get a bus with the heating on today.  It's often pot luck.  Some are warm and cosy and you can almost wish you lived on them and some are unheated and cold.  Thank goodness we seem to be past the dreadful 'open all windows' no matter the weather on buses.  I remember at one point, I wondered if we passengers might be more at risk of double pneumonia than covid.  ::)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 23 15:00 GMT (UK) »
OK so where exactly have I put the 2023 diary I bought well in advance for this year? I guess I’ll just have to buy another one, it’s bound to turn up after that.

All the best to everyone.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 23 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Haven't posted for a while but everything okay here.  My Christmas away was quite exhausting but fun - at the end I slept in four different beds four nights in a row, including when I got home!  Not always the best thing for insomniac -prone folks.
We've had had horrible weather for January - warm and damp.  A bit of snow out there now and it is colder but not what I call a true January.  Our big storm snowfall before Xmas started to melt before New Year's.  At least we had a white Xmas.
Going to try to post some pictures here, one at a time. First one is of my grandson, whom I met for the first time over the holidays.  He is sitting up but is only 2.5 months here, so obviously not doing it on his own!

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 23 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Here is the quilt my older daughter made for her nephew, she is very talented!  The billiard table behind her took up half the lounge area of the chalet.