Author Topic: Diary, started Monday 16th January-  (Read 4787 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary, started Monday 16th January-
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 January 23 23:42 GMT (UK) »
No frost here at all this morning thankfully… bit chilly though going to Pilates so glad the large hall was warm from all the bods doing a Zumba class before ours.

Diana… such lovely photos, what a gorgeous little grandson you have hope you get to see more of him soon. I love the quilt too a real work of art… a friend of mine who lost her husband last year showed me quilt her niece had made for with pieces of her husbands shirts… very personal and comforting for her.
Seeing deer in the garden is delightful… we get muntjac on our front lawn.. often in the spring when my tulips are just about to flower and they just eat the heads!

Viktoria- hope your sense of smell comes back soon … can’t bear to think of you binning your hard cooked meals with all the rising costs! Perhaps your son finishes it all up instead, nice to have someone to cook for though.

Good luck Brigid… hope all goes well with the scan.

Roobarb… I totally agree that items get smaller and the prices go up! I think some is units particularly are having cheaper/alternative ingredients in them as some definitely don’t taste like I remember!

Hope RTL isn’t suffering too much with cold bus journeys… not what you need after a long shift.

Take care all, hope tge snow and ice doesn’t become a problem for those further up north!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Diana, what a lovely Grandson you have; he looks like his attention has been captured by something.
Also thanks for posting the photos of the quilt and the deer.  Your daughter obviously must be a very talented quilter.  I love seeing quilts.  Whenever, I go to places like Beamish Museum or stately homes I am always looking out for the quilts.
Maple syrup pancakes sounds like a delicious breakfast Brigid.  I hope the scan appointment goes well today.
Re topic of food shrinking .. yes, I think there are lots of things .. for example I think weetabix used to be bigger and biscuits seem smaller, although I haven't been buying any lately as I've been trying to eat healthier.
I'm glad to hear you had a warm hall for your pilates class Caroline.
Last night, the first bus was just coming round the corner as a colleague and I were walking towards the stop.  We had to run.  Male colleague who is huge and much younger than me ran like the wind  leaving me tailing behind.  He was going to ask the driver to wait for me to catch up which he did.  I was scared to run too fast as it was very icy in patches by then but even if it hadn't been I could not run at the speed of my colleague whose run was quite impressive.   We were beaming at each other when we sat down and saying if we had been out a minute later we would have missed it.  Both buses home didn't appear to have any heating on. 
I'm on a back shift again later today and hope there will be some warmth on way home tonight but it's just pot luck.  One good thing is the first bus service has increased its bus service at night to what it used to be pre covid.   :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Brigid, yes I too hope all is well , it is a bit worrying to say the least, but we are lucky to have the scans .
Well I am too old to have the routine ones,and haven’t asked for one.

A cold clear morning but a soft grey sky and all the rain puddles frozen , the
dustbin lids white and the top rails on the fences too .
Not heard any birds as yet.
Just cleaned the bathroom so the smell of bleach is in the air!

Grand daughter phoned just a while back, has failed an exam - accountancy- by 8 points ,but she is working too and on day release ,had the end of year figures to do for tax man ,just moved house from a pretty cottage that was so damp she was continually ill, black mould in all walls, clothes mouldy in wardrobes etc etc .
Was told to run the heating continually for three months and the landlord would see if it was still damp!
Well, no thanks.
Another lovely one  on a working farm ,
she misunderstood when the lease  said no children because of the farm. However that was children who would be living there ,she has Flash Harry and Kyra the one baby demolition unit quite a bit .
However that one Kyra,mmm a mind of her own ,so perhaps not as yet.

She does well, Uni, work and a little bespoke cake business, I am tired just hearing about it! What energy !
I am going to lie down in a dark room!

Well must get on, son’s bed to change ,hopefully washing out of the way and frozen on the line!
Best wishes to all with health concerns especially , keep your chin up and share your worries, we will “ listen” .
Tara, (dead common for goodbye )
Viktoria .

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria, I'm sorry to hear that your Granddaughter has been having a hard time of it with the exam result and the damp problem.  It sounds like she was close to a pass - will she resit?  Yes, it sounds like she has a lot of energy, re Uni, work, her own little business and the children.  Sounds like she is a grafter and resilient in hard work.
We often say 'Tara' in the North East.
There is bright winter sunlight here but it is freezing cold.  I'll have to prepare for work soon and get a bite to eat before setting off. 
I hope it only takes a jiffy for you to get the washing out to freeze on line Viktoria. ;)  Wrap up well!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Maple syrup pancakes reminds me of what d-i-l makes- she calls them Volcano pancakes
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Oooh,Jeff ,you tempter you!
I who must be careful re sugar am watering at the mouth now.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Well just phoned number one son , who has been unwell for a considerable time ,finally- he has Costochondritis , inflammation of the connective tissues between ribs and sternum .
I think that is the spelling,but open to correction.
Pharma T will know about it I expect.

He went to a Chiropractor ,today, after some years of not ever getting a firm diagnosis.
As a gangly teenager ,carrying all his schoolbooks around all day,and to and from school he developed a mild spinal curve ,corrected by doing fencing , not garden fencing but with a foil .
The lunging and build up of muscles corrected it but it seems to want to return and is affecting the ribs from back round to the front where the connective cartilage is.
At least he feels better for knowing it is not  a heart condition ,which it mimics very well.
So that is a relief, it has been a good few years,well since I moved here in 2016.
So thanks for your kind wishes, you are the first to know!
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 January 23 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Some reassurance to know what it is Viktoria. Presumably a problem that's caused by inflammation can be treated?

Very honoured to know we're first to hear the news.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 January 23 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I am sure it can be.Thankyou.
He might be advised some exercises to avoid another scoliosis which will mean his back will curve again .
Four weeks with Chiropractor, another CT scan as a check and blood tests to be certain it is nothing else.

The lunging movements when fencing took his back in the opposite way ,straightening the curve by strengthening his muscles .

Dentist today, one filling .
Got a taxi,£3-50 ,the pavement was so icy.
Son at head office as needs a new computer ,I did the small walk to the supermarket and got stuff in case son is stuck down South ,then Morrisson’s
phoned a taxi for me ,it came so quickly and again £3-50 .
I realised I had left a small shopping bag in the back with a nice bobble hat and my dental records ,phoned the taxi firm and they had another fare in an  hour ,very nearby so brought it then.
Such nice obliging people.
I am glad I gave a tip !

Used up some Ratatouille and Swedish meatballs( vegetarian), Quorn, very tasty, for tea.

I think a rabbit crossed my garden in the night, I thought the footprints were Henry, the big cat.
However the prints were not of a cat- tiny front ones, longish back ones  and a little dab where the scut would be.Lolloping across the snowy lawn.
No idea what it would find to eat.

No need to go out tomorrow if I do  not want to ,but must try to get to Church on Sunday .
My late Mother in Law’s birthday on 23rd. I ought to have got flowers ,I always gave them in the house for people’s birthdays .
She was a tartar! BUT, she brought my husband up to be a real gentleman, I was so lucky.She deserves remembering .

Well, The Dog House is on , so Cheerio folks .
Take extra care if out and about in this bad weather.
Look forward to your news  however  ordinary.
I am often very grateful for ordinary.

Viktoria.