Author Topic: Diary, started Monday 16th January-  (Read 4785 times)

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary, started Monday 16th January-
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 January 23 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Deer at the back of the chalet, with lake beyond.  There were lots of bird feeders, with birds who winter over.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 January 23 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone good start to the week was invited for breakfast ( my favourite meal ) by a retired policeman .had maple syrup pancakes and a good chat . Then went on to do my storytelling where the only other participants were on WhatsApp  .I guess I will have to cater for children and do an afterschool time next week.

There were 2 hailstorms so once home in teeny tiny flat  I put on heating + stayed in watching some catch up TV ,.reading free newspaper +  relaxing.
I bought half a chicken on offer on Saturday and leftovers  make best meals .
I often shop at co op when prices are being reduced !

On Saturday before shopping i'd been to cinema with 3 friends different ages and backgrounds but we all enjoyed " empire of light "

No beekeeping tomorrow as I have. To justify my existence to DWP  and have a breast scan.

Wednesday my happily retired sister is driving me to see our youngest cousin near Birmingham unless weather is too appalling .

Stay warm,well  and positive everyone .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 January 23 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Ps thanks for starting the thread Viktoria and thanks Diane for lovely photos .
I'm very impressed with the quilt ..and the deer in garden
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 January 23 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Lovely baby and so alert
What  a quilt!
Gosh— a family heirloom already!

I MUST learn to post photographs!

Now,one courgette £1-18 ——- not a big one either.
I am sure the Supermarkets are hiking prices  more than necessary.

They make you feel they are your friends—— hmmm!

I can’t find Batchelor’s Butterbeans ,they makes nice mid week supper dish with home made cheeses scones , used Morrisons own- yuk- no salt at all ,tasteless.

Well must nip to neighbour’s with a little treat for her.
She has difficulty getting out of her chair now ,I have a key but do not really like to make free with it.

Really cold and more to come and some possibility of the white stuff.
Big freeze too.

Either cold meat tea or cottage  pie .
Will see what sin would like.—— on re reading this my sin has cropped up again,we were married,and he is my son,home birth,so no doubts!

Has anyone else the feeling they have lost their sense of taste ,or that it has altered ?
Possibly an after effect of Covid ,that was a symptom at first I seem to remember.

Well,things to do,so hope all are well.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 January 23 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Both my husband and I have lost full taste since Covid, we have both said that things don't taste the same,  I am sure our taste buds will return, as  long as we eat

Beautiful baby and what a lot of work in the quilt, a real talent

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 January 23 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Great photos Diana, the baby is lovely, looks like a little doll sitting there.  :)

Good luck with the scan tomorrow Brigid, hope the weather is fine for you on Wednesday.

My mother used to do butter beans when we were children but I wasn't that keen on them so I've never bought them since.
The thing that drives me really mad about price increases is shrinkflation. Do they think we're all too stupid to realise what they're doing?  >:( I've been buying the same type of apples for ages now (not very adventurous of me I know), the supermarket guarantees a minimum number in the pack but the apples themselves are so much smaller than previously. I'd rather pay more and know I'm getting what I want but they're obviously laughing up their sleeves thinking they're putting one over on us.

I lost my sense of taste and smell for three months when I caught Covid, it came back gradually but after that I found that it had distorted those senses. I used to like eating peppers but they taste really odd now, also I don't like the smell of meat cooking, although strangely enough it still tastes fine. A few days ago I opened a tin of chicken and veg soup, the smell of it made me feel sick, unfortunately it ended up in the bin, I couldn't face it.
My sense of smell has been heightened with some things, I never liked the smell of geraniums (pelargoniums) but it's so much worse now. Ah Covid, the gift that keeps on giving!

Viktoria, the advice is to regularly sniff various things that have a strong smell, things such as coffee and lavender oil. I do hope your smell and taste recover completely.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 January 23 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the compliments re my grandson, his new quilt, and the deer photo.  My daughter trained as a graphic designer and has had some of her own designs made into cotton fabric.  She is very precise with her needle work, she designed a lovely Jane Austen needlework piece for my other daughter last year.
As well as receiving the quilt for Christmas I took the blanket my mother made for my son back in 1986 when he was born.  It was simple knitted squares, many patterns and colours.  He was quite touched and was surprised I had kept it all those years.
Just found out a friend and husband have Covid, what a worry, they don't know how they got it, as they don't go out much, due to another health condition.  Fortunately they are recovering.
Just started a puzzle my daughter bought for me in London UK (Hamley's) when she was there in December.  It is "Escape to the Cotswolds" (Ravensburger brand), believe that line is only sold in the UK.  After some confusion I realized they had packed the wrong puzzle in the box - it is actually "Escape to Suffolk", still very nice, and I am using an enlarged pic on my iPad so I can see what I am doing!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 January 23 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to see your photos Diana. What a bright little baby - he looks like he’s engrossed in something on TV. As well as skill and talent your daughter must have a lot of patience to make quilts - so much work in them.

Glad you seem OK Viktoria despite your loss of tastebuds.

I can’t begin to tell you how much shrinkflation bothers me Roobarb. I think they know we work it out eventually, but if it’s a product that people like they will continue to buy it. It’s sneaky though, and I would prefer they just increased the price.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 January 23 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb, will give it a try,I love camphor and mothballs, Jeyes Fluid ,.

I make what I think is a nice tasty meal but it never tastes right ,so don’t eat much of it.
Son clears his plate and  I do hope he is not just being polite.

Well a bit earlier to bed tonight albeit with a tough crossword.
So nighty night night ,sleep well and look after yourselves.
Viktoria.