Author Topic: is James ROPER actually my James RAPER?  (Read 339 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
is James ROPER actually my James RAPER?
« on: Monday 16 January 23 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi , im wondering if anyone could help me , i think my James Raper is James Roper on the 1881 census but im unsure.

my James b 1833 Holbeck , to parents William and Ann Raper, James married Matilda Wild in 1855 had childre Sarah and Hannah

The Raper siblings  were bakers /biscuit and confectionery makers
now ive traced Matilda with the children to her death 1883, although James isnt with them - i think he may have seperated - as ive found 2 prison records in 1870s for him been drunk and disorderly.

now i also found a James ROPER in the 1881 census , birth a bit out but living as Lodger married occ bread baker. livining with the Mary Ann Walker family who are also baker/confectionaries and grocers. There is also a grandson called William Henry Roper aged 6 whos mother is Mary Ann Walkers daughter who married William ROPER of Leeds Travelling confectioner his father is Paul Roper according to the Shadwell reform records William Henry Roper parents died young and he lived with his grandmother Mary Ann Walker.

am i climbing up wrong branch? i just cannot seem to find James Raper after his marriage to Matilda apart from prision records. he also isnt the James Raper in Scarborough either .. tried that avenue.

it is also not the 1st time Raper is Roper used

many thanks
Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool