Author Topic: WW2 - Para 390 (XVII) KR 16/9/41 - Docs  (Read 252 times)

Offline JojoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 - Para 390 (XVII) KR 16/9/41 - Docs
« on: Tuesday 17 January 23 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I'm looking for information on my grandfather who was decommissioned to an Emergency Commission in 1941 according to records I have found on line which had the abbreviation Para 390 (XVII) KR 16/9/41 . This was part of the Royal Artillery.

However in his service record up until then it notes "Docs in NE/Fed Library" - does anyone know what that means.

Also, as we have his new service number from 1941 (from the London Gazette) so do we write to the MoD to find out what he did until the end of the war, when we know he was in N Germany in charge of camp for German Soldiers after 1945. Any tips/suggestions?

Thank in advance.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 - Para 390 (XVII) KR 16/9/41 - Docs
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'decommissioned'. Did you possibly mean discharged? In fact the King's Regulations para 390 XVII reference means that he was discharged from his service as a soldier in order to be commissioned (see below). This is why his documents would then have been handled by a different branch, although I have no idea what 'NE/Fed library' means.
And yes, when he was commissioned he would have received a new number (officers had 'personal numbers', whereas soldiers had 'army numbers'). His service records post 1941 will still be with the MOD and you can apply for them using this link: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Offline JojoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 - Para 390 (XVII) KR 16/9/41 - Docs
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 23 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for replying, really helpful!
Yes, you are right - I got the wrong terminology, not decommissioned at all.
We'll get back in contact with the MoD to pursue the hunt with the new number and keep our fingers crossed they have something.
Thanks again