Author Topic: Ambler Thorn Methodist Burial Ground  (Read 297 times)

Offline broadysword

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ambler Thorn Methodist Burial Ground
« on: Tuesday 17 January 23 16:08 GMT (UK) »
This is my problem. I have a death certificate for one Isaac Saville whose death is recorded as January 11, 1875. He was a Methodist, so I downloaded the burial records for the Queensbury Ambler Thorn Methodist Burial Ground from the Calderdale Archives. These are not showing the original entries but the details have been taken from them. The burial of the said Isaac Saville is listed as January 10, 1875. Not possible as he was still alive on that date.
Contacted the Calderdale Archives and asked if they could check the original entry and confirm the date of death for me only to be informed it would cost £22. Yes £22 pounds.
So I not only paid for the download which could have had an error when copied they want another £22 to re-check.
I am wondering is there anyone out there who possibly possesses the records for the Methodist Burial Ground, on microfiche or in book form who can help.
Many thanks for any assists.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: AMBLER THORN METHODIST BURIAL GROUND
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 16:28 GMT (UK) »
confirm the date of death for me only

Wouldn't the correct date of death be on the death certificate? 

How old was your Isaac?  I suppose it's possible there was another person with the same name, infant perhaps, who was buried on the 10th. 

Ancestry has 2 death entries for that name in 1875 Halifax

Which certificate have you got?  One is Volume 9a Page 330
the other is Volume 9a Page 350

so maybe one is a correction of the other?  Might be cheaper for you to get the other one.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Page 330 or page 350 - the actual image of the page is bad, so it is more than possible that one transcriber saw 330 and one saw 350 - NOT 2 different submissions to GRO.

Actual date of death and/or burial is open to ......

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 16:54 GMT (UK) »
The Calderdale FHS database has him as Isaac Saville of Clifton, aged 80, buried on 10 Jan 1875.

However, a notice in the Brighouse News of Saturday 16 Jan 1875 gives the date as 11 January, as you have. It therefore seems likely to be a transcription error (and did Methodists bury people on Sundays?), so a sight of the chapel burial register would be useful. A lot of these are at Ancestry, but a name search there didn't find him - anyone know if it's online?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline broadysword

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. The date of death is not in question. I have the correct death certificate and the notice from the Brighouse newspaper. It is confirmation of his burial date at the Methodist Burial Ground in Ambler Thorne that is in doubt.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 18:04 GMT (UK) »
What are dates of burial either side of Isaac?  No-one, not even a Cleric, is 100% correct 100% of the time :-X

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Broadysword - are the burial records that you downloaded available to anyone, and if so where, or did you have to ask for a copy? I haven't found them online (except as below), and the best I could get on the original registers was these entries in the West Yorkshire Archives catalogue:

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=CC01896b

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=CC00122&pos=16

(The first link includes a potted history of the chapel, and the second is lists of tombstone schedules, but there won't necessarily be a stone - I think the relevant bit of burial ground has been redeveloped, and it would depend on when the stones were surveyed, if there ever was one.)

I had a bit more success with the Calderdale FHS database. This shows the previous burial as an Elizabeth Barker on 31 Dec 1874, and the next one as Jonas Bairstow on 14 Jan 1875.

In the absence of the original register we can only speculate, but I wonder if it might have had a column for date of death, Isaac possibly died overnight on the 10-11 Jan and the registrar was given one date and the chapel the other, then whoever transcribed the register took the death date rather than the burial date. But as I say, this is just speculation.

However, I tried looking for some of the nearby names in newspaper items. Most of them didn't appear, but I struck lucky with William Saville: the transcript gives his age as 68 and the date of burial as 24 Feb 1875, but the Brighouse News of 27 Feb 1875 gives 24 Feb as his date of death (and same age). So it does rather look as though there may have been some discrepancy in recording, transcribing or labelling the burial data.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline broadysword

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 21:35 GMT (UK) »
My information regarding the burial date for Isaac Saville is available via Genfair courtesy of the Calderdale fhs Mls set No4. This can be downloaded for £5. He is between Barker and Bairstow on the list of burials at the Methodist Burial Ground, Ambler Thorn.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 10:57 GMT (UK) »
My information regarding the burial date for Isaac Saville is available via Genfair courtesy of the Calderdale fhs Mls set No4. This can be downloaded for £5.

No wonder I was getting confused - in your first post you referred to Calderdale Archives, which isn't the same as Calderdale FHS.

Anyway, the data that you have is the same as what I've been looking at. The difference is that you paid £5 for a download of 14 graveyards, whereas I pay £6 a year for internet membership and access to all of the online databases with over 2 million names - it's one of the cheapest societies to belong to, and one of the best collections of data.

Based on Isaac Saville and the other entry that I found with a corresponding newspaper death notice, it does look as though there could be some kind of issue with these Ambler Thorn records. But rather than asking for a specific check of Isaac's entry, maybe you could make a more general enquiry - mention these two records and ask if anyone else has noticed that they seem to give dates of death rather than burial, and see how they respond.