Author Topic: George Edward Hood  (Read 3231 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Edward Hood
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 10:55 BST (UK) »
Just for interest sake I typed in London Marriages on Anc* and a Rose Hood aged 19 married an Edward Walter Caunt in 1926--she named her father as George Edward Hood--labourer. More research when time allows.

SS

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi SS
Good luck with the grandchildren. You will be kept well occupied!
Sorry for reviving the thread at the wrong moment, it is a fascinating one. The Rose Hood marriage you found looks intriguing.

There are some oddities with the 1911 census. George Edward has upped his age, and Rose is still older than him.
They are fancy tie makers, working at home. That's interesting. George Edward Hood is later said to be an Engineer (on his children's baptisms) Perhaps that was a slight exaggeration?
And William Ingram can't be a brother in law as it seems he was the son of Joseph and Rhoda Ingram, and he had no sister Rose. But Rose Hood links in with that family again later via William's brother Joseph living at 5 Brunswick Road.
No one in George Hood's family married an Ingram!

I think the Brunswick Road address may be important, something has come up.
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 12:46 BST (UK) »
The Daily News, 7 August 1919
EPSOM BUS SMASH.
Driver Dazzled by Headlights of a Motor-car.
A verdict of accidental death was returned at the inquest at Epsom yesterday on Mrs. Rhoda Ingram, of Brunswick-road, Camberwell, who was killed through a bus overturning at Burgh Heath on Sunday evening. Attached.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 12:51 BST (UK) »
Here's the death registration.
Sep 1919 Epsom 2a 43
Ingram, Rhoda   
Age 56   

The story is many newspapers, including the Daily Mirror, 5 August.
The body identified by her son Joseph Ingram of 5 Brunswick Road.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 12:54 BST (UK) »
South London Observer, 6 August 1919
A Fatal Ride

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 13:39 BST (UK) »
Now this has got me wondering.
Can Rhoda Ingram be found in 1911?
Husband Joseph? Son William is with the Hoods, and where is his younger brother?
The Ingrams were at 13 Florence Street, Islington, in 1901. Joseph the Chaser was said to be an Employer. So some possible research from that angle.

His occupation: Chaser, which is an Engraver.

In 1911, boarding in Broughton, Lancashire, there is a Joseph Ingram, 45, Widower, born Warwickshire, Birmingham. Occupation Gold + Silver Embosser. Maybe the transcript of that last word is wrong on this link
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW1M-LWN

Is that the same thing? Possibly the same man? Or a totally different Joseph?

My crazy thoughts for this week (sorry)
Is it possible that Joseph and Rhoda split up?
Is it possible that Rhoda took up with a man (George Edward Hood) twenty years younger than her? And became Rose Hood.
It would explain why there was no marriage. Possibly why no children (depending on how the Rose married in 1926 turns out), Rhoda was too old.
It would explain why William Ingram is with them in 1911 (even if the relationship given was false) and why Rhoda, William and Joseph seem to be in Brunswick Road later.
Of course Rhoda was not on the electoral registers at 5 Brunswick Road (neither was Joseph though, until 1920). But Rose Hood was on them, and she disappears after 1919!

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 April 24 09:32 BST (UK) »
Apart from a misleading 1911 census "everything" is known about my grandfather (no research needed). He married Clara May Prior in 1917 as a bachelor.

In 1911 census the following.

George Edward Hood 30 Fancy Tie Maker born Hoxton (age out by 3 years)
Rose Hood 35 Fancy Tie Maker born Birmingham  (Married 5 years)
William Ingram 21 Brother in Law--Ledgers Clerk born Hoxton.

I have never found an "alleged" marriage to Rose and wonder just who she is. William Ingram I believe to be William John Ingram (born 21/4/1889 mmn Brookes/Brooks)who married Clara Janet Smith in 1915. On this marriage cert he name's his father as Joseph Bromley Ingram. I believe their marriage to be dq 1884 Kings Norton, Joseph Ingram/Rhoda Brookes.

So is the 1911 census saying that William Ingram is George's brother in law via his wife Rose.

I cannot make any links,

John

There are numerous George Edward Hood, Births 1870s to 1880s, Free BMD.

Was your Grandfather in any War records?
 ---------
My 1870s Family Marriage Problem
The problem I had 30 years ago was applying for an 1870s George Hood, Marriage Certificate using the Fiche Index.

I was told there were two George Hood, Marriages in this town around those years and had to apply again. The Certificate then matched my family info.

Subscription Site Problems
I can't always get them to return results easily, of formal information collected about my family.

My Family
My Dad told me who his Uncle and Cousin were and the village name a long time ago. I eventually contacted them and we exchanged some photocopy information back then by post. They had some original Certificates back to 1870s, but mine were Registrar copies of theirs.

Nonconformist
A lot of Hood families in the 19th Century were partly nonconformist and don't have C of E Marriages.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 April 24 10:20 BST (UK) »
Were either of your Grandparents still alive in 1939?

Dates of Birth in the 1939 Register.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 April 24 10:39 BST (UK) »
BushInn1746, many thanks for your 2 posts. As I said in my opening post "everything" is known about my grandfather, birth cert, baptism, marriage, death(1937) and all census 1891/1901/1911/1921 and various electoral registers between 1921-1937.

My post was trying to try and sort out the 1911 census and ascertain just who the 2 other recorded names were in relation to George. With help I and other's appear to have sorted this out other than who Rose Hood was, she remains a mystery.

Regards

SS