Author Topic: Fred Adams and Lizzie Richardson (Lincolnshire)  (Read 1023 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fred Adams and Lizzie Richardson (Lincolnshire)
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 January 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a tribute to the death of Fed and his brother in The Boston Guardian - 29 December 1917

It says "... He was a real good lad; hard-working, reliable, and always cheerful, and I can assure you his death has been a great loss. etc."

I noticed in 1939 that Dora may have had a daughter, Constance Pearl:-
ADAMS, CONSTANCE PEARL mmn Adams 
GRO Reference: 1928 D Quarter in BOSTON Volume 07A Page 640

Unlikely to have been one Ivy's, her twin sister, because she married on 22nd March, earlier in the year.

I wonder if Julia was Dora's daughter, having used made-up names as the parents, including Fred?

David

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 21 January 23 11:54 GMT (UK) »
DCB--  "Unlikely to have been one Ivy's, her twin sister, because she married on 22nd March, earlier in the year."

Believe Ivy had a child out of wedlock--Dorothy Monica Adams 1919 mmn Adams. With Ivy and Ivy's parents in 1921 census.

John

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 January 23 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Constance was definitely Dora's daughter; there is an article in the paper about them. Apparently, Constance had a child with a man called Kenneth Marlow in 1948; he wanted to marry her, but Dora refused to consent to the marriage. Kenneth then bought a gun with a faulty firing mechanism - claiming he just wanted to 'scare' Dora into giving him permission to marry her daughter - but ended up pulling the trigger on her three times. However, because the gun was faulty, it misfired and Dora was spared.

I don't know whether Julia was Dora's daughter - because why would she falsify Julia's birth certificate but not Constance's (Constance was registered under mother's maiden name Adams) - but a piece of supporting evidence is perhaps the fact that, in 1921, Julia Ann "Wright" was living in Boston, Lincolnshire, just a 30 minute walk down the road from where Dora was living (according to Google Maps).

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Caroline1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 January 23 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Queenie, that's great work :) The strange thing now is that my neighbour is DNA connected to a Wright family on his maternal side but, having done a thorough review of that tree, I have been unable to establish a link. I'll have another look now focusing on Julia's birth in 1920 and the potential DNA relationship. :)
I really appreciate your help-thank you.
KRs
ROY- Somerset/Kings Norton
CALDICOTT- Warwickshire
POTTER- Lincolnshire

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 22 January 23 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Harriet Adams, the wife of Frank Wright, was living in Lincoln in 1921 with a one year old son, Arthur.

According to trees on Ancestry, she was the cousin of Dora, which may account for the DNA matches, and could mean that a parent of Julia was a close relative of Dora and Harriet. It could also be further back, depending on the level of cM to the Wright names. Do you know what that level is?

I have a similar problem with an ancestor from the Boston area, who has numerous DNA matches with a family of another surname, but not his own.

David

Offline Caroline1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 23 January 23 07:11 GMT (UK) »
HI there- thank you for that information. I believe that I may have a working theory which goes back to a Frederick H Wright.....if my theory is correct it matches the DNA result, the location of both (?) parents and there are more "coincidences" with the names. Of course this is only theory and may have to remain a theory but I feel I may now be on the "Wright" track :) Thank you for your help! KRs C
CALDICOTT- Warwickshire
POTTER- Lincolnshire

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 January 23 08:03 GMT (UK) »
As DCB has pointed out Harriet is the daughter of a Charles Adams (1861) and Dora the daughter of William Adams (1863) who were brothers, parents Thomas Adams and Harriet Bray.

Harriet married a Frank Wright as we know and had 2 known sons, Arthur 1920 and Raymond 1923.

An interesting birth in 1921 is a Raymond Adams 1921 with mmn Adams. Wondering if he is also a possible son of Dora Mary, a brother/half brother of Julia. He may appear on 1939 war reg on FindMyPast but I cannot view the image.

John

Offline Caroline1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 23 January 23 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear all, I will investigate these comments further :) I will explain my "working theory" to see what you think......
1) Dora Adams lived in Friskney very near Frederick H Wright (1883-1970).
2) Julia Adams/Wright was born in August 1920 and was living as a "nurse child" with the Potter family at the time of the 1921 Census (albeit under in incorrectly transcribed entry)
3) Julia Ann- are the first names on her birth certificate which happen to be also the first names of Frederick's mother, Julia Ann Smith.
4) "Smith" I realise is a common surname but it is a name that appears a lot in the trees of those connected to my neighbour by DNA.
5) My neighbour is also DNA connected to an Amanda Allott. Frederick's sister Nellie (1911-1974) married a Charles Allott (1905-1985) and is Amanda's paternal grandmother.
6) The closest DNA matches fit -cM547/8% shared DNA and cM426/6% shared DNA
Does this make sense?
CALDICOTT- Warwickshire
POTTER- Lincolnshire

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 January 23 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I can see Frederick's family in Friskney in 1921, but he is listed as Ezra.

Are the DNA matches with his descendants? The level sounds like possible second cousins. I have 930cM with a first cousin.
If Nellie's granddaughter also has a high match, he sounds like a suspect.

In Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian 31 January 1942, are Ezra (nephew) and Herbert Wright who were mourners at the funeral of Ellen, the wife of J. H. Smith.

Frederick Ezra is named as a mourner at the funeral of his wife's mother, Emma Baker.
He is in a few other articles, when in trouble.

Dora Adams is mentioned as a mourner at funerals of her parents.

This Wright family doesn't appear related to Frank, the husband of Harriet Adams.

I see that Frederick Ezra's daughter, Cora, was with Nellie Allott in 1939.

David