Author Topic: Henry Bainbrigg will - died 1700  (Read 220 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Bainbrigg will - died 1700
« on: Wednesday 18 January 23 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find a will for Henry Bainbrigg(e) who died in 1700. Below is a citation (original document was available as well). The last name transcribe differently and the is month not correct. In the original the transcriber thought the month was Dec but it looks to me like do or ditto and the entries above are September, but I could be wrong. Henry Bainbrigg owned property in London and lived in both places. I believe, the son of William Bainbrigg and Mary Ireton and married Hannah Welby, who died, and then Elizabeth Nelthorpe (married in London, 1681 St Katherine Cree). I would be surprised if he did not have a will but I guess it is possible. I have tried the UK Archives and the usual genealogy databases without luck. Thanks for any ideas or knowledge about Leicestershire wills.

First name(s)   Henry
Last name   Benbrigge
Birth year   -
Death year   1700
Burial year   1700
Burial date   19 Dec 1700
Burial place   Wymeswold
Denomination   Anglican
County   Leicestershire
Country   England
Event type   Parish Registers
Archive   Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
Archive reference   DE1728/1
Record set   Leicestershire Burials
Category   Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory   Parish Burials
Collections from   England, Great Britain
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Bainbrigg will - died 1700
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Contact the Leic archives office. It certainly used to be the case that there was stuff on microfiche there which was not available on the internet.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you browsed the Leicestershire Wills on Find My Past please? Unfortunately you can input years - but then have to browse, page by page, through that film strip.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-images/leicestershire-wills-and-probate-records-browse-1500-1939?eventyear=1701&eventyear_offset=2

(if you have a subscription to that site of course.)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I have the Leicestershire & Rutland Will Index on CD and there's nothing listed that would fit.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 16:32 GMT (UK) »
You may find this, from the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society, of interest:

https://www.le.ac.uk/lahs/downloads/1888-92/1988-92%20(7).%202of2pdf.pdf

It includes details of several Bainbrigg(e) wills, including several of Henry's close relatives. However, Henry's will is not included, which makes me wonder whether has not survived or Henry died intestate. If it is the latter, I am surprised there is no administration.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help! Pennines I am going to go through the wills next time I go to the library in case the name was incorrectly transcribed so thanks for that. If I find it I will make sure to add it here in case someone else tries to find the will. Jomot thanks for checking your CD! QueenoftheWWest I will check out the link as there seems to be a ton of information that might be helpful for other family members! What a great find! Annie - good suggestion on contacting the archives. I should try that too just in case. I will also say that according to a few maps there is a Bainbrigg Street (sometimes referred to as Banbrigg St depending on the map) in London allegedly name after Henry https://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=57892. Another resource said he was a builder. Thanks again for all of your great suggestions and links!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton