Author Topic: 1880s passenger lists  (Read 225 times)

Offline haywards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1880s passenger lists
« on: Wednesday 18 January 23 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Three brothers among my ancestors James Watson (born 1856), Joseph Watson (born 1859-1861), and David Watson (born 1858) owned a grocery business called Watson Bros in Kimberley from the late 1880s (1889 according to the Ancestry Biographical Index entry for James who was clearly the leading light in the business) until 1916. They were all born and grew up in Keady, County Armagh in Ireland. I am uncertain about when they first arrived in South Africa. There were three passengers named Jas, Dan and Joseph Watson on the SS Drummond Castle leaving London for Cape Town in August 1890, but their declared ages are all up to 5 years wrong and these three couldn't have reached Kimberley until the very end of 1890 or early in 1891. Passenger lists from the 1880s include several earlier possible travel dates for one or more Watsons, e.g. Jas Watson on the RMS Athenian in 1882. Is there any way of confirming or disproving any 1880s travel by one or more of my ancestors?   

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1880s passenger lists
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 12:44 GMT (UK) »
If you can find someone to check these archives you may find some more info.
Document 1 of 4
DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    AG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 1708                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 5316                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          COLONIAL GOVERNMENT VERSUS WATSON BROTHERS, KIMBERLEY. CASE OF.       
STARTING  1906                                                                 
ENDING    1906                                                                 
REMARKS   PROCEEDINGS NOT INCLUDED.                                             

Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline haywards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Intriguing, thank you pampoen! Although i've discovered quite a lot about Watson Bros and the family, I wasn't aware of any legal issues. If someone were able to find out a bit more about the case I'd be very grateful.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't help with a passenger list, however there is mention of Watson Bros, Kimberley in 1899 in a couple of newspapers re the Boer War.

"Messrs Watson and Company, Limited, of Belfast, yesterday received the following cablegram from Messrs Watson Brothers of Kimberley:- "Quite safe; everybody confident."
Saturday,  Nov. 4, 1899
Publication: Sheffield Independent