Author Topic: Can sks please date this photo and possibly station and type of train . Ty  (Read 640 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Can sks please date this photo and possibly station and type of train . Ty
« on: Wednesday 18 January 23 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all . I have become confused with naming this fellow . I might have attributed it to a nephew rather than uncle . One generation out . If this photo can be aged it will make a difference because of death dates for both men . Can anyone identify train and could the station be near Slade Green . Any of those answers might tighten the timeline . Thank you . The man involved on left could be either Walter George Wharton or Walter George Valentine .. Thank You . Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can sks please date this photo and possibly station and type of train . Ty
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 20:23 GMT (UK) »
It's a small engine - perhaps the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch railway

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27045884@N05/30623344328
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Here's another view of the same or similar engine from the same angle as your photo, again RH&DR

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 20:36 GMT (UK) »
It's a very strong possibility - try an image search for the RH&DR's locomotive no.2 "Northern Chief" to see more.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 20:37 GMT (UK) »
How very interesting . I am googling as fast as I can think . This railway is in Kent area and Slade Green was in Kent and is  where George Walter Valentine who was a railway man lived . I will keep digging . How exciting . Thank you for any help l I might look into the archives of the railway . They might have a list of enthusiasts who worked on train ? Thank you .Fred . Ps . I have written to the secretary and forwarded the engine photo . I will keep you informed if they have archival notes .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can sks please date this photo and possibly station andtrain Completed .
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 23 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi . Thank you for your answers . I got in touch with the RH&DR archives . They confirmed it was the Northern Chief #2 and dated it pre 1955 because of the lack of smoke deflectors.They confirmed the station was at Hythe . Unfortunately they had no record of Either of the two Walters being employed there  . I enjoyed your help and my search and as ever will keep digging . TY Fred.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can sks please date this photo and possibly station andtrain Completed .
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 January 23 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately they had no record of Either of the two Walters being employed there.
Perhaps this is an example of the saying 'a busman's holiday' where train is substituted for bus.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 January 23 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes , I am going to track down where I sourced photo . I did think he might have his “ good clothes “ on so maybe visiting. Exactly as you say in this case a “ trainman holiday “ It’s been fun tracking it down with everyone help . Fred .

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 January 23 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know - and it's good to know that the RH&DR archives were helpful.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk