Author Topic: Document/Image viewer/software - best for negative images for certificates  (Read 301 times)

Offline issi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Document/Image viewer/software - best for negative images for certificates
« on: Thursday 19 January 23 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure which forum to put this in, do we have a space for "useful genealogy software tools"?
Anyway, I'm after a good document/pdf/image viewer tool (any file format, I can convert the source file if needed) for looking at images of handwriting eg marriage certificates, with nice tools for helping me work out what the text is - eg. zooming, negative view, contrast, brightness, all easily changeable.
Any suggestions, please?
Many thanks
HAY - Aberdeen, Shetland, etc.
LEE - Todmorden, etc.
BELSHAW - Farnworth, Bolton, Wigan, Manchester, etc.
ALLINSON - Pontefract, Leeds, etc.
UPWARD - Isle of Wight

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Document/Image viewer/software - best for negative images for certificates
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 January 23 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I would think that most free photo editing software that come with your PC would cover most of your needs.  Microsoft has Photos and Apple has a similar version.  PCs also come with Paint which has more image manipulation features than Photos.

Free gimp is recommended as a good, more advanced, app. More advanced  software include Adobe's various versions of Paintshop, which I prefer, and Paintshop Pro. More recent applications include various AI apps.  Most of these offer free trial versions so that you can try before you buy.

Also check out online recommendations such as:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01s20/

https://enviragallery.com/best-photo-editing-software-for-photographers/

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-photo-editing-software

However, for your needs the programs that come with you computer  are probably all you need.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline issi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Transcribing software - best for negative images etc for text
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 23 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget. I appreciate your help.

I know I could do this with my photo software (I have lots), but I was looking for something tailored to paleography/transcription that would do it easily - for example, having the relevant functions to hand and without me having to use sliders to get the right changes. I did see something demo-ed once but I can't find where I noted the name.

So far I've found GenScriber and T-PEN, but I'm sure there must be other tools out there.

(I've edited the title of this discussion now I've found more relevant terminology)

Thanks again.
LEE - Todmorden, etc.
UPWARD - Isle of Wight

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 23 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Transcript ( https://www.jacobboerema.nl/en/Freeware.htm) is similar to Genscriber, both will provide an environment for you to transcribe documents but will not do the transcription for you.
 However if you are looking for software to actually do the transcribing you are venturing into OCR territory and any of the professional OCR programs would be capable of doing the job (depending upon image quality etc)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 23 16:12 GMT (UK) »

However if you are looking for software to actually do the transcribing you are venturing into OCR territory and any of the professional OCR programs would be capable of doing the job (depending upon image quality etc)

That's what I've suggested on the other thread, Falkyrn:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=869457.0

It's confusing having 2 threads on the same topic  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline issi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 23 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Please consider this thread closed, as the one at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=869457.0
is in the better place for this discussion.

Falkryn, thank you for the tip on Transcript, I'll have a look at that 🙂
LEE - Todmorden, etc.
UPWARD - Isle of Wight

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Transcribing software - best for negative images etc for text
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 23 20:00 GMT (UK) »
having the relevant functions to hand and without me having to use sliders to get the right changes.
To add to what I said in the other thread (sorry, I should have read both before replying). IrfanView Colour Correction can remember where you slid the sliders when you have multiple images requiring the same adjustment. Tick Save values on exit (bottom right). You then just pull up CC (shift/G) and press Return.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.