Author Topic: Worsborough Dale newspapers mid 1890s  (Read 387 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Worsborough Dale newspapers mid 1890s
« on: Thursday 19 January 23 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I have had the good fortune recently to be able to find one of my ancestors who I was unable to trace. I had some exception results with the kind help of some fantastic forumers  ;D

This has kicked started my family tree research and I have been revisiting some old un-answered queries I had previously jotted down but never followed up.

John William Cobb was born Wisbech 1871, he married Elizabeth Barrow in Chorlton on the 26th July 1890. The married couple were boarders in Croft Street in Salford on the 1891 census.

Sadly I have a burial record for John William Cobb aged just 22 in Worsborough Dale 9th June 1893.

Without wanting to especially order a duplicate death certificate I was wondering if there are any newspapers that cover Worsborough Dale that might have a reference to his sad departure at such a young age.

Many thanks in advance for all offers of help and assistance.
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Worsborough Dale newspapers mid 1890s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 January 23 22:07 GMT (UK) »
In the absence of any newspaper report you can order a pdf copy of the death cert which only costs £7 instead of the usual £11
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 23 22:22 GMT (UK) »
The Sheffield newspapers, the South Yorkshire Times and occasionally the Leeds newspapers all covered stories in Worsbrough Dale in that time period.  It falls under Barnsley, so the Barnsley Chronicle etc. would cover it but I am not sure what dates are available online.  EDIT, they are available.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 23 22:45 GMT (UK) »
In the absence of any newspaper report you can order a pdf copy of the death cert which only costs £7 instead of the usual £11

Thanks very much CaroleW for your reply  ;D

The Sheffield newspapers, the South Yorkshire Times and occasionally the Leeds newspapers all covered stories in Worsbrough Dale in that time period.  It falls under Barnsley, so the Barnsley Chronicle etc. would cover it but I am not sure what dates are available online.  EDIT, they are available.

Thank you very much Claire64 for your reply  ;D.

I did have a couple of passes/tokens left for the British Newspaper Archives but unfortunately I forgot to use them within a twelve month period ( although BNA were supposed to pre-warn me via email beforehand that the credits were about to expire but unfortunately they never did and these have now been taken away and I have zero credit ) and no longer have access to their records. I will however try a search using the information you supply  ;)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update, the BNA had the Barnsley Chronicle listed but unfortunately not the year 1893. It had 1892 and 1894.

I was wondering whether he might have gone on to be a Coal Miner after being listed as a Labourer on the marriage details. I have been reading about The Yorkshire Miners and the 1893 Lockout  :-\

As I dont have subscription to any genealogy websites I am struggling slightly  :(

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 23 13:35 GMT (UK) »
That's typical!  It will be worth checking back occasionally because new years are added all the time.
I have had a look for you but nothing comes up for his death in the available papers at FindMyPast, using spelling variants etc.  I also checked the Coroner's Notebooks at Ancestry just in case but nothing there either. As someone already said, the death certificate will be a lot cheaper if you order the PDF.
I would expect that, if he didn't have family in the area no one would have paid to put a notice in the paper.  I would expect a report if it was an accident. 
I also checked the English papers in case it was reported elsewhere.
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 23 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Findmypast has the transcript of a burial at Darfield but not the originals 09 Jun 1893, which you already have.  Worsbro Dale was in the parish of Darfield.  I had some family lived there too.

EDIt: I had completely forgotton this ... using the parish burials search on FindMyPast only throws up the transcipts but searching under their Yorkshire collection brings up the originals.  I am not sure I can post it here for copyright reasons?  There is nothing different from the transcript (always worth checking, you never know if the vicar added a comment or not).
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 January 23 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire64,

Many sincere thanks for your two latest posts and for taking the time to check the newspapers on Find My Past and the Coroners Notebooks at Ancestry  ;D

I do have a copy of the burial register ( not transcript, the actual church register ) but nothing else hence my original post. Looks like I might need to invest in a PDF copy of the death certificate like CaroleW suggested in her reply. The trouble is I already have a queue of about 6 ancestors I would like duplicate death certificates for  :o

Anyway, just to reiterate my thanks for your interest and help with this topic  ;)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 23 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update for Claire64 and CaroleW who both helped with replies.

PDF certificate arrived this afternoon. JWC cause of death was pneumonia for 12 days and heart failure. Listed as a Coke Drawer and living at Jarratts Buildings. Nothing sinister but nonetheless still very sad for someone to pass away at such a young age.