Author Topic: Worsborough Dale newspapers mid 1890s  (Read 386 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Worsborough Dale newspapers mid 1890s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 January 23 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update, it's always nice to hear of a result.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 January 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

After reading your thread with interest ( I had a similar ancestor, my 5 times GT Dad) , its a classic question - do you take the chance you have the right death certificate copy of the right deceased after the person had moved around a lot in their passed life and dyeing so young with a questioning why. CarolW was right ! its always a gamble  buying a certificate but unless there was a serious event like an accident worthy to be reported in a newspaper,  also dying young with health issues was not that uncommon and deadly virous's about them years, mostly only basic info of a  deaths were reported in the birth, marriages and death sections in newspapers.

I sent for my 5 times  Gt Dad aged 51 years (a Blacksmith) death certificate copy 1841 , cause of dead was as it looked like read being poor writing  - saying "accident with a Clit wheel", thinking it was an accident in his job with some kind of machine grinding wheel or like of  ?, I did not push further , but years later found out it was a " accident being run over by a cart wheel" after a horse stampeded in a country lane and the local parish newsletter was full of the event. Thus for such a nominal death certificate copy cost gamble - certificate info do give a firm start as wether to search further or not..
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 January 23 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if it's still the case dobfarm, but way back in the 1980s I wanted to order a certificate but there were several listed and I didn't know which one to purchase. I wrote to the LOCAL registry office, Sheffield, and asked for their advice (no email back then!). They said if I told them what I knew they'd look and send me the certificate that matched the facts as I knew them. Which they did, and sent me the right one.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 January 23 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Its swings and rounds as the gamble to buy a certificate of what is on it ? but as you say gives the best details to the register office you have helps sorting the right certificate if possible though knowing the offical actual cause of death ( unless put down as Natural decay, Natural causes or Old age  - only) puts you with the right knowledge of their death. (no guessing or aimless newspaper long searching only to find they died on such and such a date only info and maybe a funeral date )
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 January 23 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi dobfarm and Claire,

Thank you for replies  ;D

Its always nice to hear other peoples take and perspective on topics. Thank you both for your interest in this thread  ;D
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 February 23 12:40 GMT (UK) »
There’s a lot of information on Jarratt’s Buildings on line if you’re interested. It may give an insight into your ancestor’s life whilst he was living there.

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 February 23 18:24 GMT (UK) »
There’s a lot of information on Jarratt’s Buildings on line if you’re interested. It may give an insight into your ancestor’s life whilst he was living there.

Funnily enough I had written that down on my to do list, appreciate the reminder  ;)
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.