Author Topic: Problems accessing service records transferred from MoD to National Archives  (Read 1957 times)

Online rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Problems accessing service records transferred from MoD to National Archives
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 March 23 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Did you personally send a copy of his death certificate to the TNA?

MoD do not pass over any personal document you sent to Glasgow to the TNA, so without proof of death as part of the application to the TNA the default ruling of 115 years is applied.

I also strongly advise using the FOI procedure TNA has set up

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mod-open-foi-request-step1

Unless you do these steps they cannot initiate a FOI review.

I have had confirmation from TNA that a link to an entry in the CWGC database is acceptable proof of death in service.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Problems accessing service records transferred from MoD to National Archives
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 May 23 19:34 BST (UK) »
As the subject of TNA's approach to the release of service records has caused quite a bit of discussion - most of it not entirely complimentary - I think that listening to this explanation of the cataloguing process may be helpful in providing some background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpCgYrp19Bc

One of the cataloguing team at TNA explains the processes they have had to go through in order to get the documents properly referenced and to extract details of what each file contains, so that this skeleton information can be viewed via the TNA search tool Discovery.

The series she talks about are:
WO 420 - REME Other Ranks 56,000 files
WO 421 - Some of the smaller Corps 100,000 files
WO 427 - Females nurses (presumably QARANCs) based in East Africa - just 471 files.
and they only cover the period of the Second World War, although exactly what time period that means is not clear.

No explanation is given for what has happened with the files covering the period between the First and Second World Wars. As the archivist explains these three series represent just the first batch of the huge number of files being transferred from the MOD, and all the others will need to go through the same cataloguing process. TNA says that they discovered quite a lot of errors in the summary sheets which accompanied most of the files (the WO 427 series were completely unindexed).

The presentation doesn't say so, but I think it is clear that none of these files have been digitized. The options for accessing the whole service record for an individual seem to be
a. a personal visit to TNA,
b. paying a researcher to do so, or
c. paying the TNA staff to make a copy of the pages, provided that the data protection rules allow this.

I intend to test the process when I next visit TNA, to see what access is allowed. For instance, whether I have to prove a person is dead before I can see their records or will the fact they were born more than 100 years ago suffice.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 May 23 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy
Very interesting .   I look forward to hearing about what happens when you get there.
Nesta

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 December 23 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Regarding an RAF Airman understood by us to be Missing and Killed in Action and on an English Death Certificate, it had already been decided by the MoD that the 75 years Coroners Rule could be applied regarding the release of some photocopy information via a Minister and an MP direct to a family member when this "Casualty file" was in MoD hands.

We have since had the whole file (later released in an AIR 81 tranche) with "Pt A" on the front cover photographed, which has a few snippets of additional information and known by the family.

However, some post WW2 information given my family is not in the AIR 81 "Pt A" release.

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 December 23 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Another Glasgow file under transfer cannot be traced currently.
 ----------
The TNA only took a 'sampling' of another file Series. A request to a Successor Agency said the request could exceed £600 FoI Act search limit so they refused to search unindexed files they had been left with, but did manage to provide an image of the Original Dept file reference Index Slip, the reference used to family and basic family information.

Section 12 of FOIA allows a public authority to refuse to deal with a request where it estimates that it would exceed the appropriate limit to: - either comply with the request in its entirety or; - confirm or deny whether the requested information is held.

Added
This is not just a government file problem. Some Archives have multiple files under one accession number.