Author Topic: Looking for Information on a Robert Oxberry (Oxburry) from 1757  (Read 292 times)

Offline PaulJ56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Information on a Robert Oxberry (Oxburry) from 1757
« on: Saturday 21 January 23 14:48 GMT (UK) »
We have traced my wife's family back to a Robert Oxberry (Oxburry) of Burslem, Staffs who came up to Durham county sometime in the later 1700's. He married Elizabeth Dobson of Woodhorn in 1782 at Heworth, Jarrow. His origins information was included as part of the baptismal record of his son George Oxberry in 1803 (attached).
Suggestions are he was born around 1757 and was by trade a potter.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Information on a Robert Oxberry (Oxburry) from 1757
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 23 21:34 GMT (UK) »
We have traced my wife's family back to a Robert Oxberry (Oxburry) of Burslem, Staffs who came up to Durham county sometime in the later 1700's. He married Elizabeth Dobson of Woodhorn in 1782 at Heworth, Jarrow. His origins information was included as part of the baptismal record of his son George Oxberry in 1803 (attached).
Suggestions are he was born around 1757 and was by trade a potter.

Welcome to Rootschat Paul!
And well done for working out how to attach an image on your very first post!
(Many people find this quite challenging to start with).

You haven't actually specified what it is you would like help with, or what avenues you have already tried - just so those trying to help you don't go over the same ground fruitlessly.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 23 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not got a lot I'm afraid
Robert born 1757 buried 26.4.1828 Bellingham
Elizabeth born 1760 Woodhorn Northumberland d of John Dobson buried 17.11.1823 Heworth of Newcastle All Saints

Children
Amelia buried 12.10.1783
John bapt 27.3.1785 born 23rd
Maria Mar- July 1787
Jane 3.8.1788 Newcastle  upon Tyne
Robert 10.4.1791 Bishops Wearmouth
James Frederick 20.10.1793 Heworth
George born 15.11.1799 Jarrow child no 8.

I suspect you want his parents and family in Burslem but I'm not having a lot of luck there.

There is
Patrick Oxbury married Newcastle under Lyme St Giles Mary Fox 1.10.1765
Children John buried 2.4.1771
Mary 9.8.1767 married 11.4.1786 William Lovatt or Richard Bucknall 15.1.1787 (I suspect widowed mother and daughter but I can only see transcript for the first).

Hannah Oxbury married Joseph Bennett 8.6.1794 also at Newcastle under Lyme.
The census gives her birth as 1771 Burslem and their children are baptised at the Hope Independent Chapel.

William Osbury s of Richard and Elizabeth bapt Longdon St James 2.3.1730

I'm assuming they are non-conformists and are therefore difficult to find.

Ciderdrinker

Offline PaulJ56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 23 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ciderdrinker
We had most of the northeast info, the hard part is deciding who’s who in Staffs. Looks like we need to make journey to see the records.
Thanks once again

Offline Rogerbclayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Robert Oxberry (1757) is my 4 x gt grandfather and I am also searching his origins. I noted a burial on 26 Aug 1782 Burslem of Maria Hawkesberry (wid) and wondered about a possible connection due to Robert naming his first 2 daughters Maria (or similar). I also considered that if this was his mother's burial then it may have precipitated his move from Burslem.

Offline PaulJ56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the infomation.
We have Robert Oxberry (Oxburry) marrying Elizabeth Dobson in Dec of 1782 at Jarrow, so it is possible he moved up here following the death of his mother.
Robert is my wife Carol's 3xGt Grandfather through his son James and his second marriage.
We have come across the 'Hawkesberry' surname in connection with the second marriage of Robert's son James so we are wondering is it the way a clerk is writing down the name they hear. We have that issue with my 3xGt Grandfather Timothy Hurn who hailed from Norfolk, we have variants of Hurn, Herne, Hearne, Herron. So how would a north east clerk interpret a Norfolk accent.
Thanks
Paul and Carol Jarvis   

Offline Rogerbclayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Paul & Carol
I will have a DNA match to Carol as I also descend via James. My ancestor was Thomas Oxberry (1822-1901), a son from the first marriage. James was quite prolific with 13 known children born to his two marriages (9 and 4 respectively). I concur with your surname comments as a study of Robert 'the potter' shows many variations of surname spelling.
My DNA report shows a strong connection to Norfolk/Lincolnshire but after 20+ years of study no ancestor has yet been found from that area. My research into Robert Oxberry led to the Oxborrow (and variations) in that area of the east of England and therefore I wonder if the Burslem, Staffordshire connection was just a stepping stone. Keeping an open mind.
Regards, Roger