Author Topic: South American records: Marai family from Budapest  (Read 179 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South American records: Marai family from Budapest
« on: Saturday 21 January 23 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'd love any help with trying to locate the Marai (Mayerhof) family from Budapest. Andres Marai (born 1919 in Hungary) and Susana Szego (born 1916 Hungary) with their son arrived in maybe 1950 in Brazil, later moved to Argentina I think. How can I find out where they settled and probably later died? Very many thanks for any hints.
Colee

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
Re: South American records: Marai family from Budapest
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 23 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did you search for their Brazil Immigration Card on familysearch or ancestry? On familysearch you can look at the original records for free, each record contains two pages.

You can also do a search on familysearch with "Brazil" or "Argentina" as the place where they lived. Maybe you can also find their grave on findagrave or billiongraves.

Sometimes I find the date of death of someone who lived and died in Brazil when searching the newspaper archives of Brazil (search under Locality first).

http://memoria.bn.br/hdb/periodico.aspx

Database for the Passenger Manifests to Argentina
https://cemla.com/buscador/

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 23 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Svenja!
Yes I've seen all the immigration cards on ancestry, which is how I found they had a son with them. But it hasn't led to any other info. Maybe I missed the 2nd page of info, I'll check. I will check on findagrave, that's a good idea. Thank you also for the newspaper archive link, although I think it's more likely they died in Argentina.
Thank you again, I'll keep looking!
Best, Colee

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 23 17:27 GMT (UK) »
oooh, this has come up on the passenger manifest to Argentina link (as well as a minor but I haven't included that as he may well still be alive). Georges and Andre were brothers.

MARAI   GEORGES   37   C   HUNGARA   BUDAPEST   PLATERO   1949/12/28   SAN GIORGIO   GENOVA   
MARAI   ELIZ   33   C   HUNGARA   BUDAPEST   CASERA   1949/12/28   SAN GIORGIO   GENOVA   
MARAI   ANDRE   30   C   HUNGARA   BUDAPEST   PLATERO   1949/12/28   SAN GIORGIO   GENOVA   
MARAI   SUSANNE   26   C   HUNGARA   BUDAPEST   CASERA   1949/12/28   SAN GIORGIO   GENOVA

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 23 17:47 GMT (UK) »
...so maybe it was the other way around then, they arrived in Argentina and after went to Brazil. Seems then they arrived in Argentina in 1949, and the immigration cards are for Brazil in the 1950s.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 23 18:08 GMT (UK) »
...so if the son say married in Brazil in the 1960s, does anyone know where that might show up?

thank you for any ideas!

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 January 23 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I couldn't find the Brasil Immigration Cards of Andre and Susana, but I found one of Jorge Marai, born in Hungary 18.09.1912 with Nationality Argentino (naturalized 05.06.1953) on familysearch. His parents were Matyas Marai and Anna Sillerman (maybe Silbermann). As this is a tourist paper there is not much information on the second page.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G5BD-LBL?i=9&cc=1932363&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A27FR-XZF

Finaly I found the Brazil Immigration Card of Andres Marai on familysearch too (mother Jana Silbermann).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-95D5-9N88?i=141&cc=1932363&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AKC6T-PRY

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99F9-W9SC-X?i=394&cc=2140223&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQKM3-CG91

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 January 23 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Svenja

Brilliant, yes that's them. It's just a bit tricky to progress from there - I did manage to find those cards, plus some others on Ancestry but that only really documents them before they settled. It would be great to find any evidence of what happened to them after that.

I found that Jorge died in Uruguay in 1982, but I'm don't know about any of others. The Eliz in the passenger manifests was also known by Alice, her maiden name was Reinhold. Andre's wife Susana was born Szegu - he had a 2nd marriage, to Marta, but I don't know when.

I couldn't seem to get in to the newspaper archive - I tried to click on 'locality' but it didn't seem to let me.