Author Topic: Looking for free "simple" photo editing software, Win11  (Read 290 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Looking for free "simple" photo editing software, Win11
« on: Sunday 22 January 23 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Having recently upgraded from Win10 to Win11, it seems that "spot removal" in the Snipping Tool that I had been using isn't available in the Win11 version.  Unless, of course, it is there and I just can't see it!  ;D

I only really want to do things like adjust the brightness/clarity and remove the odd spot from photos.

Can anyone recommend something that's both simple and free, please?

Thanks
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for free "simple" photo editing software, Win11
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 23 19:22 GMT (UK) »
This might do what you want:

https://www.gimp.org/

I've never used it but have read some positive comments.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 23 19:26 GMT (UK) »
My favourite is FastStone Image Viewer, which in spite of its name has a good range of editing tools, which are easily accessible and simple to use:

https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

IrfanView is also frequently recommended; in its basic form I think it would do what you're looking for, but there's also a plug-ins package which offers a lot more tools, and as it's all free it may be worth getting that too, even if you'll rarely use it. However, I find it a bit more dated, and you have to delve through the menus more to find what you're looking for. Details at

https://www.irfanview.com/

There will probably be other suggestions, but not many will be as simple and straightforward as these. As they're free, you can of course try out as many as you want to see what suits you best.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 23 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Free - Gimp and paint.net / from getpaint.org.  Get it from the originator's site ... avoid other sources.
GIMP does everything but is quite complex to learn ... I've given up on it and went back to paint.net.
It's an enhanced version of the Paint app that has always been included with Windows but developed privately and given freely.
It does the basics very well and is becoming more advanced with add-ons but only if you wish to add them.
There is also a Help Forum   ... the tool I found especially useful is the Auto button for altering the Lights and Darks ... it mostly gets it better than if you play with the sliders.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 January 23 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I agree that gimp is very good,  but hard to learn. You may be able to find a tutorial for "spot removal" and if that's all you are doing it would probably be worth the effort to get used to it. I mainly use it for resizing, occasionally adjusting brightness/contrast etc. OH is quite clever at doing all sorts of things to images, but he has been using it for quite some time.

Arthur's comment about trying out different programs to see which suits you is a good one.  :D

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 23 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone x
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)