Author Topic: Photo of grave needed Kirkcudbright Cemetery  (Read 326 times)

Offline sorrellk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo of grave needed Kirkcudbright Cemetery
« on: Sunday 22 January 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

My first post on here and I'm asking a favour if anyone can help me. My 4x g-grandparents were Alexander KIRKPATRICK and Marion RAE. I have the transcription of their gravestone in Kirkcudbright Cemetery and I am looking for someone who might be able to take a photograph of the grave for me. I am disabled and live in Canada, so the chances of me getting there anytime soon are slim to none!

This is the transcription:

First name(s): Alexander
Last name: Kirkpatrick
Death year: 1831
In memory of Alexander KIRKPATRICK shipbuilder lost at sea 14/7/1831, 68
Wife Marion RAE 22/1/1834, 67
Sons Samuel & Alexander both died at sea in the prime of life
Son William died Liverpool 30/7/1836,  33
Cemetery:   Kirkcudbright Cemetery

Unfortunately, I don't have a plot number or anything, which I know would simplify things.

Many thanks in advance!

Karen in Ontario

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of grave needed Kirkcudbright Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 23 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the transcription from?  I can't see anything on FindaGrave

The grave is now 189 years old and presumably untended.  If it was an upright headstone you may find it has been removed if it became unsafe - this has happened in all cemeteries where due to age & instability some headstones were deemed to be a safety risk.

Even if it is still in place, it's likely to have eroded making it unreadable.  As you do not know the grave number, anybody trying to find it may have a lot of difficulty.  Have you contacted the cemetary?

I can't see a death for wife Marion in 1834 on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 23 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen, welcome to the site.
I have a book of M I's  (monumental inscription) for this cemetery. The headstone you are looking for is number 588 in the book. The date of death for Alexander is shown as being either  1831 or 1834.
The location for the headstone is easy. On entering the cemetery via the main gate, go straight along the footpath. About half way along on the right you come to a group of stones, all close to the edge of the path and facing you. The 1st one is a small stone in the form of an open book. It is in the name of Sgt Major  Robert C  Watson. The next one is a tall stone painted white but weathered.
It relates to  a John Rae and his wife Elizabeth Herries & family. Your stone is the next one. It is well worn .
If you go onto Find a grave and search for John Rae No # 170544879 you will see the entry for John Rae. you will see the group of stones I refered to. Click on the 2nd photo, when a new page opens click on "view original" this will open an enlarged view. You will see your stone next to the 2 mentioned before.
Hope this helps.
Matt.
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 23 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm so glad you came along Matt as I was contemplating searching for my old MI booklets which are now stored in a large (nearly inaccessible) trunk!

FindaGrave listings for Kirkcudbright,  is well covered and might have a photo*

Gadget

* I see that I must have missed Matt's comment about this.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sorrellk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 January 23 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the replies! This has been a big help.

To answer Carole's question, I got the transcription from the Find My Past website searching Scotland Monumental Inscriptions. The source quoted there is the Scottish Genealogy Society. I am certain this is the correct family because of the details about the loss of the couple's sons at sea (I have a newspaper acount of this), and the mention of Liverpool. The William who died there in 1836 was my 3x g-grandmother's brother.

Matt, your instructions for the grave location are fantastic. If I or someone I can cajole into it ever get to Kirkcudbright, finding it should be a breeze now! It may be unreadable but at least it's still there.

Thanks again,
Karen