Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023  (Read 3449 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 28 January 2023
« Reply #72 on: Monday 30 January 23 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing that RTL. It must have been awful for your family. My husbands grandfather was killed after a fall of stone down the mine and my own grandad - who I never knew- shows as standing all bent on all the photos we have of him. That was from a fall of stone too. Both families received compensation and it was fascinating seeing some of the paperwork about that at the archives.
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 30 January 23 21:52 GMT (UK) »
How proud you must be of those men, such a dangerous occupation but in mining districts there was not much else.

We don’t know we are born do we really .
My ancestors on father’s side were lead miners, not so dirty as coal mining but still very dangerous.
An account of an accident in 1895 , is shocking in the neglect of machinery etc ,resulting in the cage lowering seven men falling as the steel cable broke .
It was seven feet high but after the crash down it was eighteen inches high with seven men inside!
The section that broke was ,at night ,when the cage was up always down in the shaft sump,  in water.
The outside looked alright but the core had rusted , there is a section in The
British Museum .
The men were cheated out of the meagre compensation offered , by a crooked lawyer in the pay of the company .
Snailbeach Mine Disaster .

There is such comradeship among miners,they are so dependant on one anither below ground, a special breed.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary week ending ,ooh just wait while I look at the calendar q
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Well do I start a new diary or have I not found the new one?
Here goes ,sorry if I am doubling up.
Clogs looking better nourished and a bit more supple.
They had been in a shed or somewhere, plaster dust in them and small circles of mould but looking much better with minimum of invasive treatment.

Well Flash Harry is to sit with The Head Teacher at his table in the dining room at lunchtime - —— ooer,I thought but no, it is because he has very good table manners,he is thrilled to bits and also he has achieved his Robot, the children each have a picture of a robot ,blank ,any really good achievement and they can add to it ,an arm or leg etc ,he has completed his so it is on the classroom wall .I don’t think he is the first to finish their robot,mustn’t boast too much.
Just hope he doesn’t think “ Right ,I can be naughty now!”

Loves his scarf , but  cost almost £8 to post but the wool was nowhere near as dear ,I am very glad he likes  it!!!

Son is getting so much gear for FH ,to go detectoring ,both on land and in water - shallow!-that with big magnets.
Hope they don’t find what was found off the East Coast ,— some fuses and detonators, :o

Well housework calls but I am not listening really well ,hope everyone is safe and look forward to your news, however mundane, there is nothing wrong with mundane, throughout troubled times people must have longed for mundane .
Cheerio.
 Viktoria,( ‘ er as is allus polishin ‘er clogs!)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I started a new diary thread on Monday! ;D

I always wondered why people keep posting to an old thread after it's "sell by" date? :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I think they are replying  to messages on that thread, well that is what I think

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)