Author Topic: John Griffiths death date help please  (Read 247 times)

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Griffiths death date help please
« on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to pin down the date of death of John Griffiths who was a coal miner. He was born on 26th April, 1850 and was married to Elizabeth Roberts. They had nine children, Thomas, William, Margaret, Elizabeth, Mary, Edward, Jane, John and George in that order. They lived in Victoria Place, Greenfield in 1891. By 1901 his wife is recorded as a widow. I have tried 'Find a grave' and looked at the cemeteries near to Greenfield, but am struggling to find anything. His name and the number of people with it does not help either. If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much.
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Griffiths death date help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial for John Griffiths, aged, 47 Victoria Place, Greenfield on July 4th 1895, Holywell.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very very much  :)
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Happy to help

If you'd like to get his death cert:

Civil Registration of death:
Q3, 1895, Holywell, 11b, 145
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I will do that. Thank you so much, I have struggled for many years finding this. Wish I had the know how of finding it as well as you did. I was searching on Ancestry too. Thanks again.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 23 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry doesn't have as much on this area as it's main competitor.  Ancestry is getting a little better with collections for Wales but I'm not fond of it.

Other than the pay sites, the North Wales BMD is good for civil registrations:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/index.php

Gadget

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 23 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I have made a note of that site and have also just ordered the death certificate. It is disappointing that Ancestry is not so good. I know I have searched for years for those details and found it very hard. I am most appreciative of your help. Kindest regards, Jane

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 23 16:10 GMT (UK) »
There is an article about the death in the Flintshire Observer, Thursday, July 4, 1895.

"GREENFIELD. TERRIBLE ACCIDENT AT BETTISFIELD COLLIERY. TWO MEN KILLED. Mr Alan Lloyd, the deputy-coroner for Flintshire, held an inquiry at the Royal Rotel, Greenfield, on Tuesday afternoon last, concerning the death of Joseph James Furnival, collier, Bagillt-road, Green- field, and John Griffiths, collier, Victoria Cottages, Greenfield, who met with their deaths whilst following their employment at the Bettisfield Colliery, early on Monday morning last. The deceased man Furnival died in a few minutes after being released, and before reaching the surface. Griffiths after being taken to the surfaoe, was being conveyed home in a cart when he succumbed on the road.—etc."

This is the link: https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3752656/3752664/88/

David

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 23 19:45 GMT (UK) »
David, thank you so very very much for this. I appreciate your help more than you can realise. So sad to see yet another of my gt grandfathers was killed at an early age of 45. William, his son in the article is my gt grandfather and he was killed on the Colwyn Bay promenade during its construction in 1927 when a piece of machinery fell on him, he was 57. My grandfather, also a coal merchant died when he was 47.