Author Topic: Changing first name when becoming Catholic  (Read 660 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Changing first name when becoming Catholic
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 January 23 20:06 GMT (UK) »
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 January 23 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here.

The reason for exploring this is that not Denis (Moore) & Bridget (Law), nor any of their children I have identified, named a child Bridget. However, nearly all of them named a child Rose. Now I know there could be any number of reasons for this but thought it strange.   

As Denis appears to have been Catholic, and it appears most Laws were not Catholic in Ireland at that time, I thought there might be a solution in there somewhere.
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 January 23 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm Catholic, Baptised, made my '1st Holy Communion' around 5-6 yrs old & in later years around 10-11 yrs old, I attended 'Confession' & after admitting my/any sins was 'Confirmed' whereby I had to choose a Saints' name.

I wasn't 'given' that Saints' name, it was purely my choice.

I wasn't born in the 1800s, I can't say what the tradition was then, if people were 'given' confirmation names?

What I have discovered in my research, my relatives who emigrated seem to have 'middle' names which were not on their birth certs. & can only assume those 'middle' names were in fact their Confirmation 'Saints' names.

My parents, father (Catholic), mother (Protestant) were married in a Catholic Church.

My mother didn't convert to being a 'Catholic'...

My mother attended the Catholic Church they were to be married in for approx. 6 weeks prior to their marriage, received 'Rites' & was duly married there.

I don't know all the rules/regulations but I do know, the condition of my parents' marriage was, any children they may have in the future would be brought up in the 'Catholic' faith which happened when we were all born.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 January 23 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I can agree with most of that Annie except that i made my 1st confession and 1st communion at the same time aged 6. Confirmation followed at 12 or 13, when I chose my confirmation name (which i don't use other than as an occasional password!).

I'm RC, married in an RC church to a non-Catholic; my maternal grandparents, she a devout Catholic, he a Welsh Baptist with a lay Baptist minister father, married in the RC church (1922), and again, agreed to bring the children up as Catholics. My mum remembers her father setting off early every Sunday morning to walk some distance to chapel, she, her mother and sister leaving later to walk a shorter distance, but they always met up on the way home. Baptist ministers and the RC priest were all great friends of the family.   
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....