Author Topic: Burial Register  (Read 206 times)

Offline charliewatson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Register
« on: Monday 23 January 23 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Searching for burial of Lachlan McLeod died 19/6/1921 at Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Register
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the CWGC site they have Lachlan as a 54 year old Deckhand, Service No 1909/SD, son of the late Malcolm and Janet McLeod, of Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay, Argyllshire. He is shown as on the books of HMS Pembroke 1, which was an administrative centre at Chatham but he was not necessarily serving on that base.
The record does not show where he died, nor where he is buried, only that he is recorded in a roll of remembrance. This is "The United Kingdom Book of Remembrance" which commemorates United Kingdom casualties of the two World Wars who were not formerly recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The men and women remembered here are presently commemorated solely by their database and register entry. The Commission will continue to investigate the grave location details.
I note that many of the entries are from the period 1917 to 1923 and include quite a number of nursing staff. I wonder if some of these were casualties of the influenza epidemic. Others may well have belatedly succumbed to wounds received during the war.

You say Lachlan died at Port Charlotte. If you are sure of this then it seems likely that, being a local man, he was buried in the vicinity.

I've looked for newspaper reports of his death or burial but have found nothing to date.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline charliewatson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your quick response!

I volunteer for a project called In From The Cold which works, in conjunction with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, to locate the as yet unknown graves of service personnel who died in the UK whilst on active service.

I am therefore aware of his circumstances.

It's the first time I've used RootsChat so I should probably have included this spiel at the beginning of my post, so many apologies if I've put you to any unnecessary effort!

His death record shows he died at Port Charlotte but any existing burial records that are held only seem to start from 1933. He died of 'heart disease' and, as he is in the UKBOR, it is likely it was attributed, al least in part, to his time in the Navy.

There is a museum on the Isle of Islay which might be able to help but it's closed until Easter.

Thanks again for getting in touch and showing an interest.

With best wishes,

Charlie Watson

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Searching for burial of Lachlan McLeod died 19/6/1921 at Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay.

The website 'Find A Grave' suggests he was buried in the Saint Duthus Old Burial Ground, Tain -- I believe that Tain is in Ross County, Highlands.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/156111180/lachlan-mcleod?_gl=1*1qci0ba*_ga*MTIzNTYzODcyMS4xNjczMzQ4MTc1*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY3NDU1Nzc2NC4xNy4xLjE2NzQ1NTc4MjkuNTkuMC4w*_ga_B2YGR3SSMB*NzExZWQyN2QtZDY4MS00NjUxLWE0Y2YtNzIzOWE3MGVmNjFjLjI2LjEuMTY3NDU1NzgyOS41OS4wLjA.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 11:18 GMT (UK) »

His death record shows he died at Port Charlotte but any existing burial records that are held only seem to start from 1933. He died of 'heart disease' and, as he is in the UKBOR, it is likely it was attributed, al least in part, to his time in the Navy.

One of his pension cards states cause of death 'Heart Disease Organic' and that it was aggravated by his service. (Snippet image of card courtesy of Western Front Association)