Author Topic: Need help finding Poljana  (Read 130 times)

Offline omar_budesca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help finding Poljana
« on: Tuesday 24 January 23 13:39 GMT (UK) »
So, I have a marriage registry from 1680 saying that one of the parties and their family came from a city called Poljana, bishopric (or diocese) of Nove Mesto, Kingdom of Germany. However, I am unable to find any city, now or back in the seventeenth century that matches all three of these categories (city name, bishopric/diocese, country/empire). Any help or insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding Poljana
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Omar and welcome to RC!

Do you have an image of the entry that you could upload here? It certainly sounds intriguing, as those places cover three different countries.  :)

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline omar_budesca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding Poljana
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 23 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Omar and welcome to RC!

Do you have an image of the entry that you could upload here? It certainly sounds intriguing, as those places cover three different countries.  :)

Best regards,
Karen

Hello there!

Unfortunately, the Archive would not allow for any photos of the records to be taken, and thus I do not have one. Besides, the record is in Catalan, which I highly doubt many people here are fluent in.

However, my gut tells me that the city I'm looking for is Kočevske Poljane, which belongs since 2006 to the Novo Mesto diocese. This city only has records that date back to 1812, and Toplice, that holds the parish I believe kept the records for both cities, goes back to 1680.

I recently contacted the Archives of the Archdiocese of Ljubljana asking for more information, and they told me that the place of Kočevska Poljana or Poljane - Dolenjske Toplice was before 1791 under the parish of Črmošnjice, which only has records from 1741 onwards.

Now, I'm confirming this with the Archives, because it does not make sense in my head, but it would be a pity if these records did not exist anymore.

But, in case you are curious, the original record I found that pointed to this stated the following: "desposą a Joan Budesca, fill de Mateu Budesca i Śrsula Sagarria, del lloc de Pollana, bisbat de Novemestes, del Regne d'Alemanya" which essentially means "wed Joan Budesca, son of Mateu Budesca and Śrsula Sagarria, from Pollana, Novemestes bishopric, Kingdom of Germany".

Take into account thay the names of these places had been catalanized, and thus are not entirely accurate. Knowing the languaje, and having browsed through hundreds of books from that time, I determined they were speaking about Poljana and the Novo Mesto bishorpic.

Hope this helps!