Author Topic: Baptism in Poland  (Read 278 times)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism in Poland
« on: Tuesday 24 January 23 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a baptism record for Piotr Teresko. He was born in Mlawa 1st Oct 1924 to Platon & Maria nee Szyszkova(?))
 Managed to find RC Mlawa Church Records on Family Search but struggling to find it.  I have two questions pls, firstly when would Polish parents usually baptize their children ,is there are any requirements i.e within say 2 weeks or any traditions. He was their first & only child.
In a baptism record would the child's name usually be at the top of the page in entry, as I said I am struggling as I don't speak Polish lol

Offline Caros1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism in Poland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 23 17:26 BST (UK) »
Mlawa Church record for 1924 are not available for Catholic church, only Jewish or Evangelical

There is also Polish Genealogical Forum and scans available but again not for the year you interested in

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl

You could contact Mlawa Archive so they could search it for you if you happy to cover costs of search and digital copy of the document (considering you have all names and dates correct)

Re baptism typically done same or next day sometimes within few days from birth.
During that time Napoleonic Civil Code was in force and parents were obliged to register birth within 8 days so even if parents would postpone baptism, birth had to be registered within that timeframe.

Usually childs name would be nearly at the end of the cert, sometime in addition at the top next to cert number