Author Topic: Kent Archives  (Read 349 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kent Archives
« on: Tuesday 24 January 23 19:55 GMT (UK) »
  I emailed the archive about getting a copy of an inventory from 1683, probably not more than a page. I have been quoted £16. Is this a standard sort of fee?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
Re: Kent Archives
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Sounds about right. 

A handling fee for a real person to find the document. In this case, probably £10 and the £6 pound will be the first image scan.

Multiple-page documents work out on average cheaper per page, as the subsequent pages are a little less than half the price of the first one.

And if bundling a few Wills, Inventory docs etc, it typically works out again cheaper per piece, since the handling and admin costs are combined into one order.

NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Based on the following pages, waynenort seems to be spot on - though I'd be inclined to ask for clarification. The Copying page refers to "customers who use the search room" and doesn't explicitly say what the charges are for remote copying requests. The Research page doesn't mention copying requests, but lists more advanced things that the fee might cover.

https://www.kentarchives.org.uk/our-services/copying-documents/

https://www.kentarchives.org.uk/our-services/research-service/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 23 19:09 GMT (UK) »
  Thank you both for your replies. I would ring them and check, but I don't think I can face the KCC Archives and Libraries call centre! Perhaps I will email again.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire