Author Topic: O'Donovan marriage triangle  (Read 298 times)

Offline Fenian1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Donovan marriage triangle
« on: Wednesday 25 January 23 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Nos waith dda o Gymru/  Good evening from Wales.  For the past 8 years or so, I have been trying to claculate the relationship between my O'Donovan family, in the Tullig, Leap area and Tadgh An Asna O'Donovan, leader of the United Irishmen in West Cork; killed at the Battle of the Big Cross, on June 14th 1798.  For years as a child and adult, I heard that we are related to the great man, but at the time, never had the presence of mind to ask the nature of our relationship.  Sadly, there is now nobody left to ask, on either side of the Celtic Sea.
A friend of mine, Clonakilty born and bred told me the following story;
It was said in the area that you draw a line from Clonakilty, around Rossmore, Reenascreena and over to Tullig and return via Foxhall, Sam's Cross and the Pike, all of the families within this are are related to each other.  This particularly interests me , as my O'Donovan family were from Tullig and Tadhg's from Kilbree, also within the triangle.
Anyone know anything about this story please?

Keith
COLLINS, HURLEY, O`DONAVON, MADDEN,
DE COURCY, BARRY, DEMPSEY, MURPHY, SULLIVAN, CORCORAN, HAYES (West Cork)
 MURPHY, PARLE (Wexford)
REES, JENKINS (Swansea)

Offline Caerdydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donovan marriage triangle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 23 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Nos waith dda o Gogledd Gymru/  Good evening from North Wales. I am also searching out family in County Cork before my relatives moved to Cardiff, Donovans in Passage West although I suspect they came from the South West and moved to work in the ship yards that were in the area. I will post seperately on that shortly but want to check my facts first. Best of luck with your search.

Offline Fenian1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donovan marriage triangle
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 23 18:57 BST (UK) »
Shwd ych chi?  Sorry for the delay in answering.  West Cork is undoubtedly the heartland of the O'Donovans.  I have two separate lines on my maternal line; one from Dunmanway and one from Leap, both in West Cork.
Your Donovans were probably attracted to the S. Cymru valleys, looking for war.  I have no O'Donovan family (that I know of) on this side of the Celtic Sea.
Pob lwyddiant gyda'r ymchwil!

Cofion.

Keith
COLLINS, HURLEY, O`DONAVON, MADDEN,
DE COURCY, BARRY, DEMPSEY, MURPHY, SULLIVAN, CORCORAN, HAYES (West Cork)
 MURPHY, PARLE (Wexford)
REES, JENKINS (Swansea)