Author Topic: Wheatsheaf Hotel, Delamere Street, Over, Winsford  (Read 506 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Wheatsheaf Hotel, Delamere Street, Over, Winsford
« on: Wednesday 25 January 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
As a young child I was taken the Wheatsheaf Hotel with my mother and sat in the large garden. I remember sitting in a wheelbarrow and they had at least one Black Labrador. Later, my mother said they were relatives, but at the time I was not interested. The Wheatsheaf Hotel has been renamed Saxons. Is it possible to find out who ran the hotel in the early 1960s?

On the 1939 Register it is called 17 Wheatshere Hotel Delamere Street, but it is a long time before my visit. At that time there were Lucy Kettle, 1870; Mary Tompson, 1887; Florrie Walker, 1901; John E Wather, 1896 (prob. Walker); and Richard Williamson, 1882. Some surnames feature distantly in my family tree. When my mother said they were relatives, I feel it will be closer.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Wheatsheaf Hotel, Delamere Street, Over, Winsford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 23 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Not any help in finding the licensee you're after, however this item says there were over 33 licensees.
Empty since 2019.

https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/18763171.look-best-lost-pubs-winsford-overs-past/

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 23 04:04 GMT (UK) »
There is also a facebook page Winsford Photographs Community Group which has a post about Rangos/Wheatsheaf/Saxons. If you read through all the comments there may be some names. There is one I noticed that mentions the IKINS as running it but doesn't say when. Also a Billy and Jackie GREGORY.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/301541527175978/posts/769336160396510/?mibextid=6NoCDW

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 23 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Cheshire Observer 15 Sept 1962 reported the wedding of Miss Joan Ikin, second daughter of Mr and Mrs J L Ikin of The Wheatsheaf Hotel, Over. She married Mr John William Lewis, younger son of Mrs S Lewis of 36 Western Avenue, Blacon and the late Mr W Lewis.

Maddy mentioned Ikin in her last post.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 23 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Ikin is the name I was hoping for. From the names provided I can now find them and how they relate to my family.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 23 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Ooh!  Delamere Street and Over - I remember them well.  I was at Winsford Verdin County Grammar School back in the 1950's and travelled along Delamere Street every day.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 23 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Following your replies I started to dig a little. It would seem my grandmother Maggie Ikin had three brothers I was not aware of. Fred 1914-5, Stanley 1911-91 and James 1913-? All are mmn Oakes.
James L Ikin married Florence Mountfield in 1933, but I cannot find a birth for a James L Ikin, only James.

I found a death for James Leslie Ikin in 1987, which gave his birth date as 28 November 1912. On the GRO, that reference offered James Ikin in Nantwich mmn Bickerton. I cannot find a death that fits, nor a birth with the middle name Leslie.

I may need to buy the birth and certificates to establish where they fit in my tree.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 23 14:55 GMT (UK) »
If it’s any help, the newspaper article mentions the Matron of Honour at the wedding was Mrs Brenda Gerrard, and small bridesmaids were Linda Gerrard and Vivian Lewis. Best Man was Mr Herbert Lewis.

I see you have access to the 1939 Register from your first post.  They are transcribed as Leslie and Florence Ikin in Winsford, he is Leslie J Ikin on the original.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 23 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Oakes - Alan Arthur Oakes the footballer was around at the time I was at school in Winsford, his cousin being Glyn Pardoe who was in my class.  and I think that Glyn had a relative who was in my class.  :-[
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY