Author Topic: Wheatsheaf Hotel, Delamere Street, Over, Winsford  (Read 507 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wheatsheaf Hotel, Delamere Street, Over, Winsford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 January 23 15:33 GMT (UK) »
The name Gerrard means nothing, it could be from Florence’s side, where I have not yet looked.
There is no registration for a Leslie Ikin. It may have been a middle name used; and one not even recorded. He married Florence Mountfield in 1933 as James L Ikin.

I only have the 1921 Census and 1939 Register basics as I use Family Search, then paid site in the library. In wanting to understand DNA matches, I need to widen my trees, paternal and maternal. In rural Cheshire it is difficult, as there were large families that repeated names.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 January 23 16:40 GMT (UK) »
The young Gerrard bridesmaid’s birth can be found on FreeBMD with mmn Ikin.

Also a Gerrard/Ikin marriage which fits the matron of honour.

Both events in the same year.

Sorry to be a bit vague with the details but these people are likely still living. They are easily found on FreeBMD.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 January 23 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Jool, Thanks for the second post with more information. I should have looked, especially as I have found new brothers for my grandmother who was an Ikin. Now I have found the daughter and the marriage, but as yet, I do not know where they fit. It looks like I will be busy for the next few days. There is so much information building, I need to make sense of it all.

As a child living in Over, Winsford, my mother would say we were related to people, but at that time I was not interested. Now I would like to ask questions, but the opportunity has gone. We are related to Cliff Moss who had the plant nursery on Queensway, now new housing. How we are related I do not know, but it is on my to-do list.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 January 23 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Following your replies I started to dig a little. It would seem my grandmother Maggie Ikin had three brothers I was not aware of. Fred 1914-5, Stanley 1911-91 and James 1913-? All are mmn Oakes.
James L Ikin married Florence Mountfield in 1933, but I cannot find a birth for a James L Ikin, only James.

I found a death for James Leslie Ikin in 1987, which gave his birth date as 28 November 1912. On the GRO, that reference offered James Ikin in Nantwich mmn Bickerton. I cannot find a death that fits, nor a birth with the middle name Leslie.

I may need to buy the birth and certificates to establish where they fit in my tree.

now I am interested - my name is Oakes and in my tree I go back to 1675 - John Oakes - who married Rebecca Worsley
children baptised St Chads  Over ,Winsford ....and so so many Oakes family baptised in the same church for nearly 300 years  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 January 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »
After 20 years searching, I was stunned with disbelief, to realise three children had been missed, and so close in being brothers of my grandmother. At present, I am concluding that area of research before moving on to my great-grandparents, John Ikin and Jane Oakes (1870-75), which may need to be a fresh topic.

From earlier research, I believe my lineage goes back to the 1780s via John Oakes and Jane Oakley. There were either two identical families, or they split their time between Over and Congleton. The name Penkethman crops up at different times, so plenty of work in that area. A quick look found more early information had been added than only a few years ago.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 January 23 19:59 GMT (UK) »
do you know about this site
https://cprdb.csc.liv.ac.uk/
Cheshire Parish Records Database - a bit difficult to get to know how to use it - but once you know it is invaluable - if you need guidance PM me
an example
the earlest Penkethman is 1595
Field Name   Field Value
KEYCODE   LYMMC00200930.10300
PADVER   lymmC0930.1
PARISH_CODE   LYMM
TAGGED   0
DATED   5950323
FORENAME   ELIZABETH
SEX   F
FATHER_FORENAME   JOHN
SURNAME   PENKETHMAN
where is says DATED - 5950323 - JUST PUT A 1 IN FRONT AND IT BECOMES
1595 - 03 = MARCH AND 23 THE Date - so 23rd March 1595
 as I say - if you need help let me know  :)
ADDED
Forgot to say - when you click on that link and it comes up - then click DATABASE  - Comes up Baptism - Marriage - Burial ...and choose which you want to research
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 January 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help.
I have now found another marriage Hulbert Ikin and Sarah Ann Oakes, living in Winsford; with children also mmn Oakes. They moved to live in Runcorn, so from the 1921 Census I found them and eliminated Stanley 1911. As for Fred who died as a baby, only the certificate would name his father. Then I found two sons that died as babies, John 1996 and William 1998. Because of the year and naming pattern, I believe both were brothers of my grandmother. Of the relatives I found, they all linked to James, which made me think, so I looked for other options.

Garsonite, thanks for the link, but I am a long way from 1590. John Penkethman was a witness to the marriage of John Ikin and Jane Oakes at St. Chad’s in 1894. If needed I will send a PM.

Topic Closed.