Author Topic: Request for WW2 Army Service Records - being told i will have to wait until 2029  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Bluearmy1875

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi - just thought i'd see if anyone else has received the responses i have had to my application for my grandfathers service records.   Having applied 2 years ago we recently were informed the records had been passed to the National Archives, and our payments were cancelled - but the Archives have now been in touch and said we can't access the records until 2029 and 2032 respectively !  115 years after birth - and reason given is "Medical Records"  -  both grandfathers have sadly been deceased for 25+ years .   We have the service numbers and death certificates, but i am at a loss on what to do next - my parents really wanted to know about their fathers, and are very disappointed - as both are in their mid 70s and feel they won't be around for the release date :-(

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request for WW2 Army Service Records - being told i will have to wait until 2029
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 23 03:39 GMT (UK) »
There was a recent thread on the same subject.

Sounds like new policy, decided by who knows for unknown real reasons - perhaps cost cutting, under staffing, more important things to do? All of the above?

The medical excuse is nonsense and an attempt get people to go away, so they won’t need to think about dealing with any applications for at least 5, 10 and beyond years. That’s my take on it anyway. I’m sure others will have different points of view.

All I can say is I’m glad I got my father in law’s service records years ago, but I feel so sorry for people like yourself and your parents.

The other thread here:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=869450.msg7403512#msg7403512

Here in Australia we are usually years behind and sticklers for privacy, but our WW2 service records are free to view online, if they have been digitised. If not, you can request them and pay a fee for the digitisation. Our numbers of service personnel are lower though of course.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Request for WW2 Army Service Records - being told i will have to wait until 2029
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 23 11:25 GMT (UK) »
It looks like they are using a spurious 115 year cutoff rule in order to give them some breathing space around acquiring and indexing these records.  I can't see how this can stand (in law, or in practice).    It also gives "privacy" a bad name, when you invoke it in such an arbitrary fashion.

We need some statement from NA regarding the reasons for this policy.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 23 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Quote Greenrig - "We need some statement from (T)NA regarding the reasons for this policy". - OR someone who has a vested interest in the records of an ancestor to submit a FOI.

I bet if that Snow chap, or someone from a tv project wanted access, they would get hands-on with no gloves in the archive stores!

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 23 13:34 GMT (UK) »
 You'd  think  they would  release them to the  close  next of kin ( being your parents). I am beginning to worry if they'll release my grandfather's now.  Mine is  just  outside the 115 years,  thank goodness ( he was born June 1907) , but  I am still expecting problems from them( TNA) if my grandfather's have been moved  over to them.

I applied online , via the TNA site( which is new  , still in beta stage) , only two weeks ago.
I haven't paid anything yet. They didn't require  any immediate payment with the online application.
 I am waiting to know if the Military still has his records or if they have been moved them over to the TNA. Apparently they'll  send me a link to pay if it's still  with the Military,  I haven't  a clue what happens if it has been moved to the TNA.
This  below is copied from the email I recieved  after I  submitted my application online via the TNA:

" Your application has been sent.
Your application has been sent to the British ArmyYour reference for this search is LAN-xxxxxxxxx

What happens next
The disclosure branch will perform the search based on the data you have given.

The search will tell the disclosure branch where the record is held.

You may be contacted for further information, using the contact details you provided.

You will be sent a payment link if you need to pay for a record held by the Ministry Of Defence.

You will be directed to the National Archive if the record you want is held by them.

How to get in touch

To follow up on your application contact:

APC-Sp-ADPMRApplications-Army at mod.gov.uk
(please provide your reference number and post code  or zip code on contact) " quote

Ps. When I applied the blurb on their online forms says it takes anything from  a couple  months  to a year ( I won't hold my breath on that of course).

There must be some  legal  way to fight their  so called  policy of 115 years when it is  very close  family, living next of kin applying. It really doesn't seem right or fair. You'd  think they could easily redact the  medical details , it all seems like excuses to me.
Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 January 23 13:58 GMT (UK) »
The most ridiculous thing about this is that privacy had not been an issue for however many years that the MOD were providing these records, but now that the TNA have taken over, there are privacy concerns? This makes no sense.

I wish Guy Etchells was still with us - I’d like to know what he makes of this, and if anything can be done.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 January 23 14:16 GMT (UK) »

I wish Guy Etchells was still with us - I’d like to know what he makes of this, and if anything can be done.
I was thinking  exactly the same  thing about Guy .  :)

It all seems ridiculous.  They released  the 1939 register and have a 100 year rule on the people on it ( if they can't find  their deaths) and plenty have been still alive. They released  the 1901, 1911.and 1921
How  many of those people  may have been  still  alive ( for example my husband's  great aunt lived  to 101) with their  medical disabilities  printed on the censuses, such as lunatic .

They could very  easily blank out ( redact)the medical info on the army records  . It seems like a ridiculous excuse by the TNA, to use the medical info as an excuse to not release the records to the living  next of kin.
Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 January 23 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Ok, this is getting emotive, and rightly so: Recommend enquirer's each contact their own M.P. to kick start concerns from all (necessary) quarters of the Kingdom. We can't have TNA acting in such a manner.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 January 23 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking about the 1939 register and census too Cell. Not to mention that very recent UK births .deaths and marriages are available on sites such as Ancestry.

Presumably TNA view a long deceased service person’s medical records as being more sensitive than a birth record from 1990 giving mother’s maiden name? There are many other examples of easily accessible personal information.

We have strict cut off dates to access births (100 years), deaths (30 years) and marriages (75 years) but 115 years is excessive!

I am convinced it has little nothing to do with privacy and a lot to do with other factors.

Not sure if petitions are effective (doubtful) but might that be worth consideration?